Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Do I have my +/- hookups for my aftermarket fog lights right?

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2014, 8:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I have my +/- hookups for my aftermarket fog lights right?

I purchased a pair of Pilot Driving/Fog lights at auto zone, and I have the ground wires for the lights going to the negative terminal of the battery, and the positive terminal is wired through an on/off switch with an in-line 15amp fuse and the end of the positive wire is connected to the positive terminal on the fuse box. Now, is that harmful for my fuse box at all? And will it drain my battery beings it has an on/off switch?
Old October 31st, 2014, 9:37 PM
CF Monarch

Received 363 Likes on 344 Posts

The negative wires from the lights can go to any good ground. They don't have to go all the way to the battery. The positive terminal of the fuse box is OK to use. Make sure it is an unfused terminal so that you do not put extra load on any fuse in the fuse box. If the switch is turned off it should not drain the battery.
Old October 31st, 2014, 10:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldchevy
The negative wires from the lights can go to any good ground. They don't have to go all the way to the battery. The positive terminal of the fuse box is OK to use. Make sure it is an unfused terminal so that you do not put extra load on any fuse in the fuse box. If the switch is turned off it should not drain the battery.
Thank you for your response! I figured it would be okay, but I made a quick diagram in Paint at work so I could "kind-of" show what the set is that I did with the wiring.