Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Electric fan switch in my 350

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2014, 12:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric fan switch in my 350

Guys - The capillary tube on my 350's electric radiator fan went toes up and I decided to switch to a "sender" style fan switch on my 63 Avanti. Tried to mount it on the head but would be way too close to the header, so I moved the temp gauge down there and put the switch in the intake manifold.

Found a good online schematic for using the relay and hooked it up that way. Still no fan after going 'round the block and warming the engine. I pulled the cap off the switch and grounded the lead, with the engine running and on comes the fan. Okay, my circuit is right...

Pulled the switch out of the manifold and didn't see any coolant under it. Hmm... Took the switch in the house and, using a pan and tongs, stuck the element in boiling water for a while, then tested continuity to see if the switch closed. After a few minutes in the hot water it still didn't actuate so I'll be taking the switch (FS110) back to NAPA for another one.

The lack of coolant in the manifold bugs me. I know the radiator is full. Should I add coolant directly into the manifold to top things off?