Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old November 13th, 2016, 12:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical issues

I have a 1991 Chevy Silverado, the issue I am having is when I turn the steering wheel left it kills the ignition, I have replaced the ignition switch and it still has not fixed issue, I am. It sure where to look, any ideas would be great
Old November 16th, 2016, 10:21 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stop turning left. Hahahaha. Look under your hood at your steering shaft. Is it or any of your suspension near or touching any harnesses? raise the front of the truck off the ground so the whole chassis doesn't flex when you turn the wheels and see if the problem goes away.
Old November 26th, 2016, 10:13 PM
CF Beginner

No luck with that, is there a steering sensor that may be causing issue?
Old November 27th, 2016, 9:41 AM
CF Junior Member

You wish your 1991 pickup had an electronic vehicle stability program. Does your steering column have tilt? If so is it worn? That is can you move the wheel up and down while the tilt is locked like the hinges are loose or worn? If so then you need to correct this first. Once the housing of the column is tightened back up and the hinge pins are a snug tight fit, Then you can re adjust your ignition switch and retest and see where you are at. Sometimes when the column gets loose turning the wheel will also move the rod for the ignition switch a little. Because of the tilt there is more than a 1 piece rod between the lock and tumbler and actual ignition switch And when the tilt moves when you turn the wheel it relocates the rod that actuates the ignition switch. Without being there and seeing your truck, I have seen this a handful of times on your era GM tilt steering columns. If the problem persists how about some pictures of the affected area(s)? Like under dash, ignition switch connectors/pigtails, underhood on the driver's side, etc.
Old November 27th, 2016, 4:51 PM
CF Beginner

Tilt is not worn, I just replaced the steering column, it had the issues before I replaced column, when I was driving it I hit a bump and it started doing this.
Old November 28th, 2016, 6:36 PM
CF Junior Member

going over a bump or turning? try a wiggle test. with the engine idling grab harnesses under hood and move them around. See if you can find your poor connection or short that way. wiggle different harnesses and also battery cables.