Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2012, 1:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problem

I have a 1980 k10 silverado that I put a new 350 in and got all the electrical hooked up and went to hook the battery up and was in a hurry to get the truck started and hooked the battery up backwards. I put negative cable on postive bat post and pos cable on neg post. When I did that up on the firewall above the driver side valve cover something smoked. I have looked on here and got an idea that it might be a terminal block? Is that correct? So what I did is got the battery hooked up right and the truck didnt start not even any lights in the dash. What could be the problem? Someone told me to check fusable links and if not that check what smoked on the firewall which i believe might be termianl block. I am not very good with automotive electrical so thought I would get answers from people on here. Hope someone can help me.
Old July 17th, 2012, 2:42 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Do you have any electrical working? Won't start, or won't crank? Is it EFI? ESC???
Old July 17th, 2012, 7:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no electrical working. turn the key and no lights or gauges come on and engine doesnt crank. and i dont know what efi or esc is.
Old July 17th, 2012, 9:42 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

EFI is electronic Fuel Injection, ESC is Electronic Spark Control. Since I take your post as no electrical, no dome lights ect? The fuseable link that was suggested is viable. Look at the + side battery cable past the battery, go from there.