Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Engine Help

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2021, 3:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Help

Hello, I am a newbie. Below are some pictures of the engine in my 1980 Firebird.

What is the slotted arm for just laying there under the throttle spring? Where should it go? It looks like it is coming from under the distributor.

What is the black hose coming out of the top of the valve cover? Shouldn't it be connected somewhere? I would think oil would come out of this when running.

It looks as if engine is all there. It turns freely. Hopefully I will get it started tomorrow/. I am expecting to go to work, they are calling for 6-8 inches of snow!

All help is greatly appreciated. ​​​​​​​

Old March 31st, 2021, 8:19 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by HVFDFIREFIGHTER
Hello, I am a newbie. Below are some pictures of the engine in my 1980 Firebird.

What is the slotted arm for just laying there under the throttle spring? Where should it go? It looks like it is coming from under the distributor.

What is the black hose coming out of the top of the valve cover? Shouldn't it be connected somewhere? I would think oil would come out of this when running.

It looks as if engine is all there. It turns freely. Hopefully I will get it started tomorrow/. I am expecting to go to work, they are calling for 6-8 inches of snow!

All help is greatly appreciated. ​​​​​​​

That is the transmission kick down. Hook it to the throttle from the carb. It will kick the transmission to lower gear with WOT.
Old April 1st, 2021, 7:54 AM
CF Monarch

Received 363 Likes on 344 Posts

That hose is connected to the PCV valve and the other end goes to a port usually behind the carb or to the manifold.