Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Evap issues

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2009, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tm4hammer
the patience of a saint you have! st. mike it is then
More spare time today than usual I guess

Thanks for explaining the hole size thing in the fill spout, never knew that.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 11:12 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't afford a test so I guess it's just going to stay on for a while. Thanks for the info. Btw a little punctuation would be much appreciated in order to read that huge paragraph you had...
Old September 23rd, 2009, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

I think that you should have a one way check valve both on the evap and your fuel return line, usually located on top of the tank by the pump. Its shuts down and keeps your fuel line pressureized for starting other wise it would bleed down into the tank and you would be cranking for a while till the line got up to press enough to activate the injectors.

Whats a gas cap cost, I think I picked up a locking gas cap for 10.00 and I believe the regular standard twist ons are 5 to 7 bucks, just make sure you get the one specific to your car, I think chevy had 3 choices, it does'nt get cheaper than that. Good luck testing it yourself, they test it with a machine that it screws into a chamber, they pressurize the cap and fitting to a certian pressure the machine stops and goes into the true test which is a leak down test it measures the amount of air that escapes in a given amount of time.

The reason you dont have that splash gaurd is because its a plug as well that resricts cars after a certian year to only use unleaded gas, if you look at the gas pump regular gas has a larger nozzle that will not pass that plug but the unleaded ones being smaller do. It looks like somebody pulled the plug so they could use the less expennsive regular gas . It has no effect or purpose than what I discribed.

Get the cap, 5 bucks, I can pick up that in soda cans at a walmrt hahaoh, yeah, they might have them cheaper there, a whole parking lot full. Strike that I meant inside cheaper
I read it fine but is that better for you, jk, lets keep it on topic here.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

they might have them cheaper there a whole parking lot full
lol, that's even a possibility that it happened to you newmonte06, somebody swapped you out with a bad one. Probably not but you never know.
Old September 24th, 2009, 2:00 AM
CF Junior Member

Yea possibly. DO you know if the charcoal canister is under the gas tank? And what that device is behind the splash guard underneath the read fender well?
Old September 24th, 2009, 2:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Captain Obvious again, howdeehowy'allare?

You may be able to purchase a brand new brand name (like STANT) gas cap for less hassle and cost than it takes to get the old one tested.

One of the primary causes of evap problems is overfilling the gas tank when you fuel up. DON'T top off you gas tank to the nearest buck, or fill it more after the pump first shuts off.
Give,make, or get change.
Old September 24th, 2009, 3:20 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by newmonte06
Yea possibly. DO you know if the charcoal canister is under the gas tank? And what that device is behind the splash guard underneath the read fender well?
I think its obvious now, Just get a new gas-cap somehow. I think were beating around the bush on this one.
Old September 24th, 2009, 4:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Well I stopped in to the auto shop when i was at college today and they said it might be the fuel vent solenoid, the device I said I found. That I am able to test. I am just really hesitant about assuming it is the gas cap, because the OBD2 codes all point to leaks. The gas cap is a seperate issue that my car does tell me about and this error code is different.

One of the primary causes of evap problems is overfilling the gas tank when you fuel up. DON'T top off you gas tank to the nearest buck, or fill it more after the pump first shuts off.
Give,make, or get change.
Yea, I never do that. It can overflow into the charcoal canister and cause blocks and gunk it all up.
Old September 24th, 2009, 6:33 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Thats great, best of luck to you.
Old October 11th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

So did you ever get to the bottom of this one?

Quick Reply: Evap issues