Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

FWD vs RWD vs AWD

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2009, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Subs are just for people who can't afford real audio components anyway.

I guess I just don't feel the need to impress anybody on the road. I know my truck AND my audio are bad, and that's enough for me.
The difference is, when I crank up my tunes, the windows are UP. When I punch it, it's because I'm trying to get somewhere.

Hang those rice tuners.

Last edited by therewolf; October 3rd, 2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by newmonte06
Who WOULDN'T want that much power in a car? .
Me, thats higher maintenance, horrible mileage & your always under the hood. I actually want my truck to last 10-15 years at least. I can care less about non legal street racing.

But thats just me
Old October 6th, 2009, 9:03 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thinks its all about what you are using the car for. In a high power performance car, RWD is much better for ride comfort and steering ease, but growing up with N.E. winters turned me off to RWD platforms.

I currently have a FWD car and would LOVE for it to be RWD in the summer time. But I also commute 50 miles a day to work so once winter hits, FWD will be a necessity.
Old October 6th, 2009, 1:52 PM
Super Moderator

In my personal experience, with exception to extreme cases,(thank you) FWD handles a little better in snow and ice on the road.

Maybe it's the average FWD's lower center of gravity, or something.

FWDs generally get better gas mileage, so that should make them VERY attractive for summer...
Old October 6th, 2009, 3:09 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i guess i'll be the first..AWD
i have a 03 SS since new and i have learned to really like it. living on Long Island at the time i was looking to replace my 01 Z71 with a 03 Z71 need 4x4 for winter use. test drove the SS just after it had rained, and with the wet roads it handled so much better then the Z71 did. now living in So Cal i still enjoy it. we get snow here sometimes and it comes in handy. the BEST is no slip off the line on damp roads, turning up a hill, or a dirt road. and with a little modding you can still smoke all 4
Old October 7th, 2009, 4:44 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by rivereye
In my personal experience, with exception to extreme cases,(thank you) FWD handles a little better in snow and ice on the road.

Maybe it's the average FWD's lower center of gravity, or something.

FWDs generally get better gas mileage, so that should make them VERY attractive for summer...
Lower center of gravity would be if the engine was placed in the middle of the car and low to the ground...

There is a balancing difference with RWD and FWD, however. RWD has a transfer case to put the power to rear wheels, when the car accelerates weight is transferred to the back. Thus having rear wheels powering means the traction is applied to the road a bit more consistently. With FWD there is no transfer case, the engine sits over it's FWD system and in the winter this means it is pulling the car and has weight over drive wheels. The engines are also positioned differently, typically RWD is vertical and FWD has a horizontal setup.

However, when you accelerate with, say a 400+ HP FWD car, the weight goes to the back and there is going to be a traction loss along with torque steer problems because the front end has to deal with handling 400 HP and steering.
Old October 7th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Which Chevy FWD car comes with 400 HP?
Old October 7th, 2009, 11:22 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by rivereye
Which Chevy FWD car comes with 400 HP?
The new Camaro if you drive backwards! I kid.

I was not aware a vehicle must be stock to have 400 HP. I hear some people like to upgrade their cars. Sometimes those people like to find out the experiences of others before doing so. And sometimes they go to forums on the Internet.

Just saying.
Old October 7th, 2009, 3:33 PM
Super Moderator

OK do you knpow of ANYBODY who's taken their FWD vehicle to 400HP?

Most generally FWD was designed for economy, dependability, and drive-ability. To my knowledge, with the possible exception of some drift racers, there aren't a whole lot of 400HP FWD cars out there... (just sayin')

Even the old Toronados, and Rivieras with the full-size bodies from the '60s and '70s were only pulling about 300HP,
with the massive El Dorado topping out at 375HP.

Last edited by therewolf; October 8th, 2009 at 9:19 AM.
Old October 7th, 2009, 4:18 PM
CF Active Member

Interesting Thread, I am surprised I missed this for so long.

at this point in my life AWD is the least I would get. it has the most flexibility for efficiency's when not needed and power/function when needed.

As several have mentioned its all dependent on personal requirements, and preferences.

IMHO

RWD - best for 1/4 mile hook up and pure HP to ground go....(without loss powertrain loss)
FWD - best for mild cornering, decent in snow
AWD - good mix of both for safety/stability etc
4x4 (locking/LSD AWD) - best for offroad, heavy snow, etc

As for the other comments about 500HP, ok granted I paid a good penny for mine, but FOR ME this is my ultimate ride as my daily driver. Stock 504 HP, now running at 555+ HP AWD on/offroad capable, that tows, plenty of cargo, can sleep in, holds 4-5, gets 18 MPG hiway, smokes just about any Stock (and many "built" vehicles on the road, has 6" travel at the push of a button for offroad, etc. sorry to say it's not a chevy, but chevy and most mfg have some competing class, and with aftermarket mod's a chevy could certainly be comparable.

As an FYI, this was not intended as a mercedes advertisement. I do still drive chevy's that are in my family so its all good...

Last edited by dragonrpc; October 7th, 2009 at 4:25 PM.

Quick Reply: FWD vs RWD vs AWD