Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

FWD vs RWD vs AWD

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2009, 6:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rivereye
OK do you knpow of ANYBODY who's taken their FWD vehicle to 400HP?

Most generally FWD was designed for economy, dependability, and drive-ability. To my knowledge, with the possible exception of some drift racers, there aren't a whole lot of 400HP FWD cars out there... (just sayin')

Even the old El Dorados, Toronados, and Rivieras with the full-size bodies from the '60s and '70s were only pulling about 230HP...
Um..most imports? You'd be surprised how many production cars that aren't targeted as "performance" that are FWD, domestic or foreign. Also, you can NOT compare old engines to modern ones. Hell, my 3.5 V6 is putting out the same Hp (not torque though) that new 4 cylinders are. And modern V6s are hitting 300 HP. Subaru is famous for it's 2 liter boxer putting out 305 HP stock on WRXs and hitting 400 without too much hassle. The old V8s that were putting out 325 or so HP were huge and inefficient.

This was more about drive trains so yea Mercedes are welcome. A nice car is a nice car, it's not like you were bragging about your civic or something. Every time winter comes around here in New England I start wishing I had a scooby just for this season. All the nice cars get put in garages and no one cares what you drive.
However, the initial purpose of FWD was because in Japan they needed something small and cheap, and it just came from there. Most cars have traction control anyways. So yea, back to (almost) 2010 :P Take a look at all those ricers out there now, if you got time to google. If you go to their websites, it's kinda crazy what they are doing with those 4 bangers. They aren't making them huge either, still hovering around the 2 liter line. Granted, those things come half tuned stock whereas most American cars come almost DE tuned and still compete =)
Old October 8th, 2009, 7:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

My point was that even with a two-ton, 18 foot, Detroit steel body on frame construction, you still weren't generally seeing 400HP in a FWD.
Old October 8th, 2009, 11:10 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by rivereye
My point was that even with a two-ton, 18 foot, Detroit steel body on frame construction, you still weren't generally seeing 400HP in a FWD.
When you return to 2009 let me know. i'm sure 1979 was a great year.
Old October 8th, 2009, 12:11 PM
CF Active Member

i perfer old scool RWD durring the summer tim and FWD or AWD durring the winter 500hp from your 3.5 turbing? here i thought maybe you had the ss with the v8 just a fyi not much aftermartket suport for
Old October 8th, 2009, 12:14 PM
CF Active Member

the 3.5..3.9 v6 hell even the ls4 v8 in the 06-07 monte's atleast with the ls4 you can take parts from the other ls motora
Old October 8th, 2009, 2:00 PM
CF Junior Member

yea I've beaten to death the "why are there no parts for this engine" in other threads/forums. Thats why you do an engine swap. I got a nice car with a huge front end designed to hold a V8, stock tranny can take 305HP anyway. Lots of possibilities to choose from when you got a huge line of compatible GM engines you can drop in.

But then I started thinking, shouldn't I just spend all that cash and buy the new Camaro or a vette? They got RWD too. Then I thought what other people preferred and started this thread. A LOT of import tuners are all FWD, most non expensive cars are and you see plenty beefed up.

There is a cool youtube of a 500 HP civic hatchback. He hit about 160 on a straightaway.
Old October 8th, 2009, 2:31 PM
CF Active Member

imho i'd rather have a monte over a camaro yes there sweet and all but when you mod a monte your not so much just with the crowd it's your own car but if i had the money i would either buy myself
Old October 8th, 2009, 2:35 PM
CF Active Member

a 06-07 ss with the ls4 or a 00-05 that way i have mod options and the FWD for year round driving
Old October 8th, 2009, 2:53 PM
CF Active Member

And i hear ya on the no aftermarket suport i am a member on montecarloforum and it comes up fairly frequently...one of the guys just had a bad experiance with one of the few mod you can do ...
Old October 8th, 2009, 2:56 PM
CF Active Member

he bought a chip from jet performance put it in and it Fried his ecm o and fyi stay away from jet...

Quick Reply: FWD vs RWD vs AWD