Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

FWD vs RWD vs AWD

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2009, 12:22 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chips are about as helpful on a stock car as a cold air intake. I think even a "performance" muffler would be an equal investment.
Old October 9th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Cool

HEY! That's 1969, thank you. All the manufacturers started reducing their HP by 1979. Maybe I should join the present and be just another mindless horsepower chaser, is that it? Dude, get a motorcycle, if it doesn't kill you, you'll get over it.

Not that I was talking engine sizes, you missed the point, which was that even those massively huge and heavy FWD cars of the ancient past didn't need 400HP. Here's a history lesson for you: Even those fat cars were pretty fast with no mods at all. They had more fuel delivery than any three cars combined now, very few emissions controls, and NO computers to help them muddle along with TM.

If you check carefully, I think you'll find that while there admittedly are many smaller, more efficient engines than in the past, not as many stock FWD engines top 400 HP as you think. While a few 400HP FWD cars ARE available now stock, they are far and away the exception, rather than the rule, and fairly expensive to boot.

Adding extra horsepower to a particular type of drive only makes it faster. Funny, I thought the topic was differences in traction?

Last edited by therewolf; October 9th, 2009 at 3:41 PM.
Old October 9th, 2009, 5:37 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by rivereye
HEY! That's 1969, thank you. All the manufacturers started reducing their HP by 1979. Maybe I should join the present and be just another mindless horsepower chaser, is that it? Dude, get a motorcycle, if it doesn't kill you, you'll get over it.

Not that I was talking engine sizes, you missed the point, which was that even those massively huge and heavy FWD cars of the ancient past didn't need 400HP. Here's a history lesson for you: Even those fat cars were pretty fast with no mods at all. They had more fuel delivery than any three cars combined now, very few emissions controls, and NO computers to help them muddle along with TM.

If you check carefully, I think you'll find that while there admittedly are many smaller, more efficient engines than in the past, not as many stock FWD engines top 400 HP as you think. While a few 400HP FWD cars ARE available now stock, they are far and away the exception, rather than the rule, and fairly expensive to boot.

Adding extra horsepower to a particular type of drive only makes it faster. Funny, I thought the topic was differences in traction?
It was, but it got diverted. Most people who tune up a car remove all that control junk. Cars are detuned to hold their value and protect the driver.

There are almost no stock 400 HP FWD cars, I know. I said that. The topic here is not 1969 stock cars. Please stop turning it into that. I like old cars. I really do have respect for the grandfathers, but we are not here to discuss that.

As for fuel delivery...we use fuel injection now, not carbeuration. Our modern cars can determine the proper mixture of fuel and oxygen for optimal combustion. We can have better power and gas mileage in th elow and high RPMs. You need a proper fuel ratio for optimum burn, better "fuel delivery" seems like an empty statement. Are you saying cars have small injectors? Or are you telling me that we can put out as much, if not more, power with less fuel?

I do not want to argue. While I can start to see where you would stand in opinions if we were to debate old versus new cars, I live in 2009, and wanted to know people's opinions of FWD versus RWD versus AWD, which inevitably brings up what their uses will be to form an educated opinion.
Old October 10th, 2009, 1:02 PM
Super Moderator

Congratulations! You missed the whole point AGAIN.(Are you from New Jersey, by any chance?)

Let's try this again: This isn't about OLD cars. I was trying to point out that even those old BEHEMOTHS, which sometimes weighed upwards to three TONS, didn't have or need 400HP. The newer,smaller cars of today weigh less than half that. Ergo, their power needs are even less. YES, YOU'RE RIGHT, this has nothing to do with old cars. (But please, try to wake up,OK?)

I don't know when the topic strayed to the arguability of being able to modify a modern engine to 400HP, well, NO DUH! ( And I thought I was Captain Obvious.) Once you start to pull mods, the sky's the limit, and you're only real barriers are money and determination.

I live in 2009, too, it seems to be "The Age of Misinterpretation and Misunderstanding". At what point you assumed I was talking about modifieds, I don't know, because the discussion, while it may have degenerated into a discussion on mods, is only clouded by muddying the waters with changes and upgrades.

Last edited by therewolf; October 10th, 2009 at 1:15 PM.
Old October 10th, 2009, 1:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Which Chevy FWD car comes with 400 HP?
OK do you know of ANYBODY who's taken their FWD vehicle to 400HP? Even the old Toronados, and Rivieras with the full-size bodies from the '60s and '70s were only pulling about 300HP.
My point was that even with a two-ton, 18 foot, Detroit steel body on frame construction, you still weren't generally seeing 400HP in a FWD.
HEY! That's 1969, thank you. you missed the point, which was that even those massively huge and heavy FWD cars of the ancient past didn't need 400HP.
While a few 400HP FWD cars ARE available now stock, they are far and away the exception, rather than the rule, and fairly expensive to boot.
I was trying to point out that even those old BEHEMOTHS, which sometimes weighed upwards to three TONS, didn't have or need 400HP.
I live in 2009, too, it seems to be "The Age of Misinterpretation and Misunderstanding".
I'm done here. If you want to troll, go ahead. I am not going to waste the life of my keyboard responding to you. It is apparent you can not be reasoned with, can not have a discussion, and will always be right no matter what anyone else says. You seem to think that cars do not need high power, that no one in the history of mankind has modded a car, that the only way to get high HP on a FWD is stock, and that apparently, old cars are better than modern cars. Maybe you should go to the Prius forums, where little old ladies can tell you the only reason for a car is to get you from point A to B. Funny, considering the age you still live in was all about power.
Old October 10th, 2009, 2:19 PM
Super Moderator

Well, you may be wearing out the keyboard, but you obviously missed the point AGAIN.

At no time was I bragging about V8 engine sizes, the old days, the benefits of older vehicles versus newer ones, or how much better cars were or weren't in past years.

I can see why you wouldn't want to argue, for you to be able do that successfully, you have to LISTEN another viewpoint, absorb and understand the the viewpoint presented, and interpret it's significance in the ongoing discussion.

I KNOW cars don't NEED high power. I recently had a newer, full sized pickup truck which performed very well which had 90(count 'em, **9 0**) horsepower.

People WANT their cars to have more horsepower, it is absolutely NOT a necessity.

People have been modding cars since before the Model T, what, do you think people just started modding cars last year? There are a lot more mods than just improving horsepower,too.

Ever since I made a casual post about some older cars, it's been living in the past this,
living in the past that. I don't live in the past, but I'm not going to forget the past either.
Those who don't remember the past are condemned to repeat it, Future-Man.

OH, and I'm sorry about the damage to your precious keyboard. But hopefully, if you age well, (and don't get killed in the process
of chasing HP around) you'll begin to see that sometimes putting your spare energies to use helping people around you is more important than impressing strangers on the road with that not so uncommon 400HP+ beast you've built.

Maybe eventually, you'll realize those strangers don't care, unless you're providing them with the entertainment of having an accident, or getting pulled over. Yes, I did come from an age of muscled thunder, now that YOU mentioned it, and I learned three things.
1)Modding for more power is a well worn highway, you're not blazing ANY new trails.
2) There will ALWAYS be someone out there who's machine is faster than yours is.
3) How to turn money into noise.

Last edited by therewolf; October 10th, 2009 at 2:36 PM.
Old October 10th, 2009, 4:56 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So how about that traction discussion, FWD vs RWD vs AWD It seems it turned into a chip ,mod and HP discussion.

I almost put this off topic discussion into its own thread, a clean discussion & nothing wrong with it, but not for this thread. Rivereye was right in a previous post, lets keep it on the topic.

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; October 10th, 2009 at 5:00 PM.
Old October 11th, 2009, 2:27 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mike Sigmond
So how about that traction discussion, FWD vs RWD vs AWD It seems it turned into a chip ,mod and HP discussion.

I almost put this off topic discussion into its own thread, a clean discussion & nothing wrong with it, but not for this thread. Rivereye was right in a previous post, lets keep it on the topic.
Just delete it. The only ones reading it are you, me and that dude who keeps copying and pasting what I type then telling me I'm stupid. I don't need a lecture about how people aren't impressed with a fast car, I've lost my license 2x within a year of getting it. I still like to go fast and I don't mind paying off my tickets cuz I get to have fun. I am not surprised you had a truck with 90 HP, because you haul with trucks. Tractors have super low HP cuz their torque is high, HP = (torque * RPM) / 5252. With a 90 HP motor you either had an old ****box dodge 50 or similar small engine truck that had no usefulness, or a big diesel truck.

Mike, you can do whatever you want. Delete the retarded posts, or move it, whatever. I haven't seen anyone else post here anyway :/ I thought this was the Official chevy forum, unless I am mistaken. I was hoping for about triple the responses anyway...
Old October 11th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by newmonte06

Mike, you can do whatever you want. Delete the retarded posts, or move it, whatever. I haven't seen anyone else post here anyway :/ I thought this was the Official chevy forum, unless I am mistaken. I was hoping for about triple the responses anyway...
O people are reading it, I know that for sure, no one is replying because the thread is more like a public PM session between 2 people.

I think its safe to close the thread, nuff said. I am not deleting anything without approval from all members involved in the discussion.

O yeah, this forum is not affiliated with Chevy at all, its a Chevy Enthusiast forum. Its about helping people, sharing knowledge & respecting each other, we have a SHOW OFF & OFF TOPIC section if you need it.

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; October 11th, 2009 at 10:56 AM.