Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Gas tank sender unit repair

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2015, 2:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas tank sender unit repair

I have a 69 Impala convertible with a 350 in it. Last year I ran out of gas when the gas gauge said there was still a quarter tank of gas in it. I ordered a new sender unit on line and installed it in the tank. It is a piece of junk because it does not have the canister around the float unit (as the original sender had) to keep it from fluctuating wildly upon braking, turning or accelerating. In addition, the sender unit is only mildly accurate.
I kept the old unit because I heard there is a guy who repairs them. A couple of weeks ago I tried to send an email to this person, but then my computer locked up so I couldn't do anything until I got the computer working again. As I recall, his handle was impala427ss or something similar to that. Does anyone know how to contact him or know someone else who services fuel sender units? Another option would be to purchase a new old stock unit, if available somewhere, or buy a used one that still works. Perhaps there is some chemical like Techron that can be used to clean out my old unit. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

Harv