Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

GDS 2 - MDI reading vehicle DTC info does weird behavior

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2019, 4:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GDS 2 - MDI reading vehicle DTC info does weird behavior

Just got GDS 2 hooked up and testing it out on my 2013 Cruze 1LT and 2014 Volt. I plugged it into my Volt and got a ton of U-codes, the HV system is disabled which is what I am diagnosing. I am trying to make sure my MDI and GDS 2 are working properly and not 'leading me on' with false info because of a diagnostic equipment issue.

Here is a video of the setup and symptoms:

In GDS 2, I goto [Vehicle Diagnostics] -> [Vehicle DTC Information]. In the video you will notice it does not communication with several modules (1LT model, but I would think IC and safety stuff would have modules, idk), however there are no ‘active’ U-codes. The BCM has B-codes which are for the license plate lights shorted (I assume it’s the LED bulbs?). When I browse into the IC module that was shown as ‘not communicating’, it shows U-codes in there.

Another concern is why the dash lights cycle, resetting the fuel gauge, airbag message… Is this normal behavior when reading DTCs in the [Vehicle DTC Information] screen? My Volt also does flashes lights among center stack lights also happening when in the [Vehicle DTC Information] screen within GDS2.