Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Going old school? I think

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2013, 1:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going old school? I think

So the more I look back on my summer project truck, the more I wonder what the heck I was doing. My father and I have worked on project trucks together but I just loved working with him and getting the truck running.

I am currently working on a 1996 Silverado 1500. swapped out that vortec 350 and replaced it with a stock 350 from an 88 cheyenne I believe. Anyways. What has been done so far is the physical swap from one truck to another and the ripping out of the ecu. We wanted to go back to when 350s didnt need any of that... I have purchased an HEI distributor, what I need to know is what type of transformation I am doing and what I need/ need to look out for etc.

I know I need a new air intake manifold and carb, but again, I don't know what kind and how to identify the type when searching the internet.

Any suggestions and comments are much appreciated.

Thank you,
-Michael N.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 2:37 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by HawaiianMike
So the more I look back on my summer project truck, the more I wonder what the heck I was doing. My father and I have worked on project trucks together but I just loved working with him and getting the truck running.

I am currently working on a 1996 Silverado 1500. swapped out that vortec 350 and replaced it with a stock 350 from an 88 cheyenne I believe. Anyways. What has been done so far is the physical swap from one truck to another and the ripping out of the ecu. We wanted to go back to when 350s didnt need any of that... I have purchased an HEI distributor, what I need to know is what type of transformation I am doing and what I need/ need to look out for etc.

I know I need a new air intake manifold and carb, but again, I don't know what kind and how to identify the type when searching the internet.

Any suggestions and comments are much appreciated.

Thank you,
-Michael N.
You will need two sources of power, one for start full battery voltage for start, and another for 6-8 volts running. Newer HEI MAY NOT require the 12 and 8 volts, I don't know. The HEI kit you buy will have that information. You will also need a vacuum source for vacuum advance.
I would suggest a 4 barrell carb. This will require also a throttle cable to be added from the accelerator pedal to the carb. If your good at fabricating, that will come in handy even if you find a cable new or used. Depending on the cam, I'd suggest start with a 650-700 cfm carb. I personally prefer a Rochester quadra jet, but there is Edlebrock, Holley ect. I have been to Hawaii before, not sure you would really need a choke hooked up, but if so, that is another consideration. Either electric or hot air, I'd suggest electric, that will require electrical. The intake manifold depending on age MAY have port for a hot air choke, again I don't know if you would need that.
Old April 4th, 2013, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Several types of Starter Solenoids have the Bypass connection should that be required. And, you don't have to connect it that way, if it's not.