Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Hard Shifting 1st and 2nd.

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2015, 8:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Shifting 1st and 2nd.

1993 Chevy 1500 extended. 258k miles. The truck has run great for as long as I can remember. Its been passed around my childhood friends quite a while and then ended up sitting for a few months. I bought it. While cleaning it up for me, someone flushed the transmission fluid. I drove the vehicle for about 300 miles or so, before it started shifting incredibly hard from 1st to 2nd gear. Thats when I noticed whoever flushed it didnt put enough transmission fluid in and it smelled a little burnt. Added fluid. Still hard shifting. Now, the vehicle shifts at exactly 20mph. The problem is I have to really run the rpms up to close to 3-3.5 k to get it up to 20. Then it shifts hard, and the rest of the gears run fine. If I hit the accelerator, and release to reduce the rpms to 1.5k just as the speed reaches 20mph, it shifts smoother, and the lower the rpm on my timing, the smoother the shift. Im about to drop pan and check for shavings, but any ideas?