Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

HEI or ?

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2016, 6:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HEI or ?

Guys - I'm not all that familiar with powering a 350, except that I have a working one in my '63 and I'm using an HEI distributor. My project 350 in another car I'm working on has no distributor (yet) and I'm open to any and all suggestions on what's worked for you. I do have a standard type distributor with the module and black & red wires. Guess I'd need a coil if I go with that.
Thanks for any and all advice!
Old June 7th, 2016, 8:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HEI or ?

I am not sure what you want, but in any event, I would go to the HEI type of distributor. I found a good one at a local car yard in Spring Lake Michigan that came out of a 78 El Camino for $40. I put a new cap and rotor on it plus bought new 8 mm plug wires. I also had to get a new terminal and upgrade the +12 volt supply to 12 gauge wire to handle the amps. In retrospect, if I were doing it all over, I would buy a new kit that has all these things in it. It would be about the same money and everything would be new. Look on Ebay for these kits.

I have a 69 impala convertible with a 350 in it. Right now it has a point and condenser type of distributor and I want to convert it to a HEI type of distributor. I have a good used HEI distributor. Per above, I have replaced the rotor and cap and have the coil installed on top of the distributor and it is ready for installation into the 350. What I don't know is how to wire the +12 volts to the terminal on the bottom of the cap. There are 2 terminals on the bottom next to the 3 terminal plug, but I don't know which one gets the +12 volts. One is supposedly an output for a tach which I don't have. Maybe you can give me some guidance here. It should be just like your 350 with the HEI distributor. Can you help?

Harv