Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Help overheating issue

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2014, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help overheating issue

I'm apologizing now I'm new to this forum and I just need help. My issue is I just bought a 96 Tahoe for a grand and it seemed good till I took it for a 40 minute drive I smelled a burning up smell but the temp looked good. I ended up testing the gauge by connecting it to the negative terminal and it pinned to hot so it works. So then I replaced the sensor on the side of the block and it was reading 260 at idle. I replaced the thermostat and it was still burning up so I then realized the radiator was ice cold on the bottom I replaced that and now it has circulation but it's still running at the large hash between 210 and 260 no matter at idle or driving it still smells like a burning smell almost like an alternator? I replaced coolant and oil and bled it till it was good but idk why it still runs hot. Could it be water pump anyway to test it or no. If I start it up it goes to that 235ish mark and stays there. Any ideas on what the issue could be should I replace the alternator? Or water pump? Thanks for any advice. By the way it's a 5.7 4 door with 4wd. The radiator also hisses when I shut it off for 10 seconds

Last edited by mbrault95; July 9th, 2014 at 9:58 PM.
Old July 9th, 2014, 10:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you put on a new radiator cap? I blew out a few radiators until I put on a new cap once... (and switched radiator brands)... not sure which was the issue on an old 2.8l v6.

dumb Q- but is the thermostat installed the correct way? I'm sure you installed it the way the previous one was.. which is of no guarantee it was correct? .. just checking...

Are the fans kicking in? This is both at idle and driving with air flow?

You didn't mention the mileage, but for $1k and 1996, it should be pretty high??
Old July 9th, 2014, 10:52 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the response I thought about the cap I'll do that tomorrow but it's only got 140000 it sat for 2 yrs and need paint once fix this issue It'll be a good investment but yes the spring side is down with the point facing up like the previous one
Old July 9th, 2014, 10:54 PM
CF Beginner

And yes the fan is on from when I start it till I turn it off
Old July 10th, 2014, 2:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mbrault95, this post may be helpful...

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...91/#post241399
Old July 10th, 2014, 3:53 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the help guys I decided to take my dad's obd scanner and connect it to read engine temp before replacing anything else. The scanner read 190 ish at idle after 10 minutes while the gauge read 240 so I'm gonna drive around with the scanner to make sure the temp stays low but I think after putting in the thermostat and radiator the truck doesn't run hot anymore just the gauge is way off so I imagine I'll be putting in a new one sooner or later. Still don't know what the burning smell is hopefully some sort of fluid burning off from doing all the work. Thanks again