Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/general-tech-10/)
-   -   horse power (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/general-tech-10/horse-power-11063/)

kfc6936 November 15th, 2007 1:08 PM

horse power

i want to get more power out of my 4 cylinder fuel injecter engine but dont have alot of money any ideas

John86 November 15th, 2007 1:36 PM

RE: horse power

wat kind of 4 cylinder engine??

DAVID L. PAUL November 15th, 2007 3:12 PM

well i guess I'm not up to the times but i thought the purpose of 4 cylinder engines was to conserve fuel why boost it up and use more fuel and probably go beyond the limits of what it was designed for if u want more power get a bigger engine something already designed and set up that way the automotive engineers have things set for the best economy and power

Scoper50 November 16th, 2007 12:09 AM

Good Luck. You can do little things like a K&N Air filter. But any horsepower increase you get from that, if any won't be felt when you step on the gas. Horsepower costs money, end of story. And don't listen to anybody that says synthetic oil increases horsepower. They're either extremely nieve or they use the stuff and they like to believe in magical things to justify the cost.

DAVID L. PAUL November 16th, 2007 7:11 AM

don't downplay synthetic not for horse power but someone like me who keeps a vehicle 15 or 20 years and uses it it pays in the lomg run as i've not had any engine failures i also use it in my rear end and had no bearing failures sure someone who trades every 3 or 4 years i'd say it is a waste of money

Red07SSNA November 16th, 2007 9:18 AM

Any red-blooded American wants to increase horsepower -- doesn't matter if it's a 1-cylinder or a 12 cylinder engine....lol.

Without knowing what engine you have no one can give you specific ideas, however opening up the exhaust (header or larger diameter pipe), freeing up the air intake (larger filter, cold air), Increasing compression by removing cylinder head and shaving some material off or installing higher compression pistons -- all of these will increase horsepower (compression the most as long as you don't end up with pre-ignition) and actually help with gas mileage. More power can be made by turbocharging or supercharging but gas mileage will suffer -- since you'll beapt to drive more "spirited".

Then again there..is... nitrous....

Anything is possible....just takes money:-)

engine2 November 16th, 2007 9:51 AM

ORIGINAL: kfc6936

i want to get more power out of my 4 cylinder fuel injecter engine but dont have alot of money any ideas
Can be done but will take lots of $$$$$$$$.

The only engine that I know that gets significant increase in HP for little $$$ is a diesel.