Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

horse power

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2007, 1:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default horse power

i want to get more power out of my 4 cylinder fuel injecter engine but dont have alot of money any ideas
Old November 15th, 2007, 1:36 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: horse power

wat kind of 4 cylinder engine??
Old November 15th, 2007, 3:12 PM
CF Junior Member

well i guess I'm not up to the times but i thought the purpose of 4 cylinder engines was to conserve fuel why boost it up and use more fuel and probably go beyond the limits of what it was designed for if u want more power get a bigger engine something already designed and set up that way the automotive engineers have things set for the best economy and power
Old November 16th, 2007, 12:09 AM
CF Junior Member

Good Luck. You can do little things like a K&N Air filter. But any horsepower increase you get from that, if any won't be felt when you step on the gas. Horsepower costs money, end of story. And don't listen to anybody that says synthetic oil increases horsepower. They're either extremely nieve or they use the stuff and they like to believe in magical things to justify the cost.
Old November 16th, 2007, 7:11 AM
CF Junior Member

don't downplay synthetic not for horse power but someone like me who keeps a vehicle 15 or 20 years and uses it it pays in the lomg run as i've not had any engine failures i also use it in my rear end and had no bearing failures sure someone who trades every 3 or 4 years i'd say it is a waste of money
Old November 16th, 2007, 9:18 AM
CF Beginner

Any red-blooded American wants to increase horsepower -- doesn't matter if it's a 1-cylinder or a 12 cylinder engine....lol.

Without knowing what engine you have no one can give you specific ideas, however opening up the exhaust (header or larger diameter pipe), freeing up the air intake (larger filter, cold air), Increasing compression by removing cylinder head and shaving some material off or installing higher compression pistons -- all of these will increase horsepower (compression the most as long as you don't end up with pre-ignition) and actually help with gas mileage. More power can be made by turbocharging or supercharging but gas mileage will suffer -- since you'll beapt to drive more "spirited".

Then again there..is... nitrous....

Anything is possible....just takes money:-)
Old November 16th, 2007, 9:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: kfc6936

i want to get more power out of my 4 cylinder fuel injecter engine but dont have alot of money any ideas
Can be done but will take lots of $$$$$$$$.

The only engine that I know that gets significant increase in HP for little $$$ is a diesel.