Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Impala - Strangest symptoms - No Crank

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2012, 7:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impala - Strangest symptoms - No Crank

Hello All.

I own a 2001 Chevy Impala Base Model and have been having the craziest things happen lately. The car has been having issues with the electrical system. For about 4 months now, my turn signals have not worked on my impala. I was waiting until inspection to get the issue fixed. I then went out last night and my air bag light turned on.

Today, I was driving down the high way and the car shut off. I was able to recrank once it shut off, then about 3 minutes later is cut back off. I was unable to recrank. Since I had time on the shoulder, I started troubleshooting.

Here's where it get's weird. I pulled out a random fuse (Radio Fuse found in passenger door). And the car cranked. When I turned it off, it didn't crank again. I put the fuse back in, the car cranked. I turned it off and did not crank again.

I'm pretty sure it's not the radio fuse, but what could be causing this issue. Historically also, when I would use my turn signal it would cut on for about 2 seconds then it would make a fizz sound and stop working. If the car was not in motion, the car itself would actually shut off.

Does anyone know what this could possibly be? All help is appreciate guys. Thinking of dumping the car, but would hate to do it for a 100 dollar problem.

Thanks!
Old August 12th, 2012, 9:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

sounds like a intermitant communication problem on the high speed bus network. Either a module (bcm, ecm?) or the lines themself. Get a full function scan tool and check for U (u=undefined) codes.

If u codes are present; this is may be something you take to a professional...and not any random shop. Someplace that has highly trained techs that deal with intermitant network communication problems.