Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Interchangeable parts

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2018, 9:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interchangeable parts

I have a 98 chevy k 1500. My wife's brother wrecked it and bent the frame. I'm looking to buy a 94 2500 long bed extended cab with a blown motor and just swapping everything over. Does anyone know what'll work and what won't?
Old August 2nd, 2018, 3:09 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian Sanders
I have a 98 chevy k 1500. My wife's brother wrecked it and bent the frame. I'm looking to buy a 94 2500 long bed extended cab with a blown motor and just swapping everything over. Does anyone know what'll work and what won't?
Besides all the non-OBD II issues of a pre-1996 vehicle, a K-1500 is not a K-2500. A- K-1500 can be registered as a car, eliminating the weight fee in some states, as long as its not used for profit and has a cap/shell/camper. A K-2500 is considered to be a commercial vehicle, no matter what. Its much more heavy-duty then a K-1500 is and beefed up all over the place and weighs in heavier. My father had a C-20, and he beat the hell out of that pickup working. I doubt a C-10 would have held up to all that weight.
Old August 3rd, 2018, 6:38 PM
CF Beginner

That doesnt really denser my question. My biggeest question is can I swap over the engine. Knowing if I can swap the other parts over would be nice too.
Old August 4th, 2018, 2:17 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Christian Sanders
That doesnt really denser my question. My biggeest question is can I swap over the engine. Knowing if I can swap the other parts over would be nice too.
Depends on if its a 305/350 V8 or a 4.3 V6. If its a V8 it should be pretty easy. If its a V6, you might have to change motor mounts, exhaust system, and a new longer radiator fan shroud.

You'll need to install the ECM to the 1994 from the 1998 as well. That mean that you will have to install some wiring to the 1994. If you do, Make sure that a tech knows this
as OBD II wasn't around in 1994.
Old August 6th, 2018, 12:49 PM
CF Beginner

I didnt think you can legally swap an older engine into a newer truck, , i thought because of emissions the engine had to be the same year or newer , , maybe a local thing though
Old August 7th, 2018, 4:33 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by 73surf
I didnt think you can legally swap an older engine into a newer truck, , i thought because of emissions the engine had to be the same year or newer , , maybe a local thing though
It depends on what US states the vehicle is registered in. In many states, swapping out to an older motor won't pass the SMOG laws. In some states, like Tennessee, you can do as you please, including ripping off the smog control devices.

That really isn't a good idea, unless it's an A.I.R. pump. I'd chuck that item out in a New York second, or gut it out so that I can use the same serpentine drive belt.

Note that this poster is swapping a newer 1998 OBD II motor and emission controls into an older pre-OBD II 1994 Chevy pickup. Lots of states will allow that much, but you will probably have to spend some money at the state BAR, or Air Resources Bureau, to get it legal and licensed, depending on which state it's registered in as before.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; August 7th, 2018 at 4:36 AM.