Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/general-tech-10/)
-   -   Intrument cluster (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/general-tech-10/intrument-cluster-34234/)

jpskperry July 10th, 2010 10:56 AM

Intrument cluster

I have a 2003 Chevy Suburban 1500 4wd 5.4 liter engine. My issue is the instrument cluster. The oil pressure gauge is pegged out and the tachometer is not reading right, pegging out, and erratic. I have done some research and found a general recall on all 2003-2007 instrument clusters. The stepper motors are faulty and need to be replaced. Of course I am over the mileage for the recall. I can take it to the dealer for $500 or send it off for $235 or possibly fix it myself. So the wife and I are not real comfortable with sending it off and out of state. I was told you can operate the truck without the instrument panel I am not real crazy about that either. There is the issue of the odometer as well. So I am looking at possibly doing it myself and that is why I am here hoping to get some help. I love my Suburban and have no intentions of getting rid of it. It's not paid off yet lol. I intend to drive it into the ground lol so that is why I am here.

Chevy lover for life July 15th, 2010 3:26 PM

The information for the odometer is stored in the PROM on the board on the cluster.

I don't want to sound like a smart arse - but your problem is that you aren't asking a question here - when you think that you already know the answer.

The answer is that you need a new cluster.

If you PM me - I will sell you one.

It can be changed in about 10 to 15 minutes by even the simplest of people with nothing more then a 7 mm nut driver and a slotted screw driver to remove the bezel from the cluster.

The cluster simply connects to the cluster with a bunch of wires that has a squeeze clip at the top - where you just pull it out.

The truck will run - even without the cluster.

in2pro July 15th, 2010 3:35 PM

Originally Posted by jpskperry (Post 149641)
I can take it to the dealer for $500 or send it off for $235 or possibly fix it myself. So the wife and I are not real comfortable with sending it off and out of state. I was told you can operate the truck without the instrument panel I am not real crazy about that either.

It seems I have heard of this before some where in the forum, I don't believe you will be able to fix it yourself however you might check and see if you can get a re-manufactured one and send yours back in for the core charge...
Yeah I wouldn't be to crazy about driving without and instrument cluster myself...

in2pro July 15th, 2010 3:41 PM

A quick Google of "2003 suburban instrument cluster" turned up these links

this one for $199 new but it also states it remo'd !?!?

http://www.ecrater.com/p/6473641/200...red-instrument

map February 20th, 2013 8:38 AM

recall on instrument clusters

I have a 2005 duramax diesel, I understand there was a recall on instrument clusters, why was I not notified of this? The dealership wants to charge me $530.00 to fix this. I am upset because I was planning on buying another pickup but if this is how GM treats their customers, maybe I will have to give it more thought before buying another GM.

tech2 February 20th, 2013 9:36 AM

the ipc stepper motors can be bought off ebay for approx $5 each. the kit i bought for $30 included 6 stepper motors and 10 leds and came will instructions.

Youtube also have videos on how to do this.
If you can solder and desolder its an easy fix.

IMO better to repair your cluster as you will need to re-program a new or used one.

oldchevy February 20th, 2013 12:13 PM

It is simple to do. I did mine in very little time. The key is as stated above, you have to be able to solder and desolder. As long as you are there, you might as well do all 6 of them as the others will also go bad shortly.

nleith March 1st, 2013 1:43 PM

Try this link from EBAY
99 02 Rebuilt Instrument Cluster Speedometer Gauges Silverado Tahoe Sierra Yukon | eBay