Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Intrument cluster

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2010, 10:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intrument cluster

I have a 2003 Chevy Suburban 1500 4wd 5.4 liter engine. My issue is the instrument cluster. The oil pressure gauge is pegged out and the tachometer is not reading right, pegging out, and erratic. I have done some research and found a general recall on all 2003-2007 instrument clusters. The stepper motors are faulty and need to be replaced. Of course I am over the mileage for the recall. I can take it to the dealer for $500 or send it off for $235 or possibly fix it myself. So the wife and I are not real comfortable with sending it off and out of state. I was told you can operate the truck without the instrument panel I am not real crazy about that either. There is the issue of the odometer as well. So I am looking at possibly doing it myself and that is why I am here hoping to get some help. I love my Suburban and have no intentions of getting rid of it. It's not paid off yet lol. I intend to drive it into the ground lol so that is why I am here.
Old July 15th, 2010, 3:26 PM
CF Beginner

The information for the odometer is stored in the PROM on the board on the cluster.

I don't want to sound like a smart **** - but your problem is that you aren't asking a question here - when you think that you already know the answer.

The answer is that you need a new cluster.

If you PM me - I will sell you one.

It can be changed in about 10 to 15 minutes by even the simplest of people with nothing more then a 7 mm nut driver and a slotted screw driver to remove the bezel from the cluster.

The cluster simply connects to the cluster with a bunch of wires that has a squeeze clip at the top - where you just pull it out.

The truck will run - even without the cluster.
Old July 15th, 2010, 3:35 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by jpskperry
I can take it to the dealer for $500 or send it off for $235 or possibly fix it myself. So the wife and I are not real comfortable with sending it off and out of state. I was told you can operate the truck without the instrument panel I am not real crazy about that either.
It seems I have heard of this before some where in the forum, I don't believe you will be able to fix it yourself however you might check and see if you can get a re-manufactured one and send yours back in for the core charge...
Yeah I wouldn't be to crazy about driving without and instrument cluster myself...
Old July 15th, 2010, 3:41 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

A quick Google of "2003 suburban instrument cluster" turned up these links

this one for $199 new but it also states it remo'd !?!?

http://www.ecrater.com/p/6473641/200...red-instrument
Old February 20th, 2013, 8:38 AM
map
CF Beginner

Angry recall on instrument clusters

I have a 2005 duramax diesel, I understand there was a recall on instrument clusters, why was I not notified of this? The dealership wants to charge me $530.00 to fix this. I am upset because I was planning on buying another pickup but if this is how GM treats their customers, maybe I will have to give it more thought before buying another GM.
Old February 20th, 2013, 9:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the ipc stepper motors can be bought off ebay for approx $5 each. the kit i bought for $30 included 6 stepper motors and 10 leds and came will instructions.

Youtube also have videos on how to do this.
If you can solder and desolder its an easy fix.

IMO better to repair your cluster as you will need to re-program a new or used one.
Old February 20th, 2013, 12:13 PM
CF Monarch

Received 341 Likes on 322 Posts

It is simple to do. I did mine in very little time. The key is as stated above, you have to be able to solder and desolder. As long as you are there, you might as well do all 6 of them as the others will also go bad shortly.
Old March 1st, 2013, 1:43 PM
CF Beginner

Try this link from EBAY
99 02 Rebuilt Instrument Cluster Speedometer Gauges Silverado Tahoe Sierra Yukon | eBay