Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

k1500 airbag light : under seat connectors ?

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2017, 4:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default k1500 airbag light : under seat connectors ?

1997 k1500 Suburban :
I removed both front seats recently. This involved unplugging the electrical connectors under the seats .
I read that in other vehicles, if the battery is reconnected before the seat connectors are plugged back together, then
an airbag light may be triggered.
I somehow triggered my airbag warning light ( solid lit up , not flashes) during a dashboard removal. I was particular about
the 2 in- the -dash yellow airbag connectors , so I do not believe that my actions in the dash caused the airbag light.
Can someone confirm /deny that if I reconnected the battery before I reconnected the the under the seat electrical connectors , then
I triggered an airbag warning light ?
I do not have an SRS scan tool to pull the airbag codes and the auto parts stores near me charge $100 for the SRS scan/ clear the light.
It is my understanding that I can clear the airbag light myself on several vehicles if I disconnect both battery cables and then hold the cables together for 20 minutes .
I need to learn more about this topic.
Old May 26th, 2017, 9:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 512 Likes on 472 Posts

unplugging a connector with the key on will trigger a dtc...with the key off the module should be asleep and no dtc will be detected.
the sdm or airbag module does a systems check every time at key on and continuously when running. so if you missed a connector...plug it back in and turn the key to run...the sdm will do a state of health check and if everything is ok the airbag light is turn off after 7 flashes and the code will go stored. if the light doesn't turn off...the fault is still present.

did you remove the steering column or disconnect the column from the i-shaft...if not centered correctly you can break the clockspring when you turn the wheel.

if you checked all your connectors and they are plugged in....you will have to get the code read to find out where the fault is.
Old May 28th, 2017, 7:24 AM
CF Junior Member

Yes, i did disconnect the steering column.
I do not know enough about " breaking the clock spring" if not centered correctly.
I marked the steering column before disassembly so I could align the steering column upon reassembly; perhaps that worked.
I read that I can do a continuity check on the steering column clock spring at the yellow airbag connector under the steering column.
Perhaps I will try that test in the near future.

I hope that it is a seat connector issue.
Old May 28th, 2017, 9:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 512 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by stilllearning6
I read that I can do a continuity check on the steering column clock spring at the yellow airbag connector under the steering column.
Perhaps I will try that test in the near future.

I hope that it is a seat connector issue.
the only restraint under seat wiring is the sensing and diagnostic module under the passenger seat.

careful about what you read on the internet. unless instructed in a service manual, putting a ohm meter into an airbag circuit is a bad idea. The system has condensers that store power to deploy an airbag if battery connection is lost...theoretically, you could power up a condenser.
the power of a meter may be enough to deploy an airbag; even with the vehicle battery disconnected and airbag fuses removed.
The proper way to test restraint system wiring is with an airbag load tool. Its a connector with a 2.2 ohm resistance that plugs into the restraint system connector. The tech reads the code to find the problem circuit; plug the load tool into the circuit at strategic locations until the dtc goes stored. when the code goes stored...the bad wiring is located.

Your first step is to get the code read to find out which circuit is effected. If you have any steering wheel controls...they probably go thru the clockspring...if they have stopped working after the repair...you most likely need a clockspring.

Last edited by tech2; May 28th, 2017 at 9:47 AM.
Old May 30th, 2017, 8:12 AM
CF Junior Member

Tech2 ,
Thank you for the education. I did not know about the sensitive nature of the SRS . I probably would have made a mistake.

Is an SRS load tool the same item as a tool to scan for SRS codes?

Can you suggest a scan tool for 1997 Chevrolet Suburban k1500 4 WD?
I would like to get a tool that can do both OBDII and also airbag SRS codes / reset.
I do not know if one is affordable to the occasional retail user.
Additionally, I sometimes work on a 1993 Saab 900 and a 1998 BMW 740iL .
If a single tool can handle all 3 vehicles that would be helpful.
I Googled SRS scan tool for k1500 1997 and can only find $130 for SRS only, not do OBD II.
Not cost effective yet.