Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Lifter Tick?

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2011, 8:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter Tick?

Ok heres the deal I drive a 1999 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 6.0 Vortec, i started to experience a ticking noise from up under the passenger side around december of this year. It would only do it every once and awhile when the truck was warm, but then it started to get louder and louder. The ticking noise is almost constant now, it gets louder and faster as i accelerate. I have been reading up on it and alot of people are having the same problem and people are saying its a dry lifter. Some people have said that using thicker motor oil can sometimes clog things up and not let any oil get to the lifter. I first used 10-30 and the noise wasnt there, then switched to 10w-40 to try and stop some oil leaks and im guessing this is when it all started. If anyone can just give me some ideas of what you think, its going to a mechanic next week and I would like to give them some ideas on it.

Thanks, brendon
Old July 11th, 2011, 5:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im gonna guess a loose or bent rod possibly, im not a mechanic though.