Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Lights

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2011, 9:17 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lights

So I just installed a HID kit into my 1988 k5 blazer and they're awesome. Heres the thing though...i have the four headlight setup where the top two headlights are low beams and the bottom two headlights are high beams. Well before the HID kit when i turned on the high beams the low beams would stay on so all four headlights were on. Well now with the HID kit when i turn the high beams on the low beams go off and only the high beams stay on.

The HID kit I have only uses the connector from one of the low beam headlights and then it splits the power from that one connector to both headlights. So the right side 3 pin headlight connector is just disconnected and laying in the engine compartment. I'm thinking the low beams now go off because the right side circuit isn't being completed.

I can get the high beams to stay on with the low beams when i place a jumper wire on the unused low beam connector between the power wire and the signal wire but it overrides the high beam switch because they stay on all the time.

I'm thinking that i'm going to have to trick the truck into thinking that both headlight connectors are being used by maybe using a resistor in the unused connector. Any ideas on how to do this? Can i just wire in a resistor between the power wire and signal wire and then ground the ground wire to a chassis ground. Anyone think this would work? and if so whats the normal resistance of a sealed beam headlight?

Last edited by frickenbored; May 15th, 2011 at 9:47 PM.
Old May 16th, 2011, 2:37 AM
CF Junior Member

Here is the wiring diagram,

http://www.painlesswiring.com/Manuals/30802.pdf

CC Name:  sfachevy.gif
Views: 69
Size:  11.1 KB

Old May 16th, 2011, 2:40 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Canadian Cowboy
Here is the wiring diagram,

http://www.painlesswiring.com/Manuals/30802.pdf

CC

Here is a picture of what you need to do it right.

CC
Old May 16th, 2011, 9:40 PM
CF Active Member

that would work if I didn't have the HID kit installed but my truck actually had both sets of lights on when i turned on the brights anyway.

I ended up solving the problem, i found out that the three wires on the un-used headlight connector were:

tan=hot on low beam
light green=hot on high beam
black=ground

So i placed a jumper wire between tan and light green and found out that the high beams would stay on no mater if I selected low beam or high beam.

So i replaced the jumper wire with a diode. Now when i select low beam the power if blocked from back feeding into the light green wire thus keeping the high beams off, but when I select high beam power back feeds into the tan wire keeping the low beams on, giving me my four headlight high beam system back.

Then i just grounded the black wire for the heck of it even though its grounded on the opposite side.
I'll have post a pic asap, it looks pretty cool

Thanks for the help anyway tho.

Last edited by frickenbored; May 16th, 2011 at 9:43 PM.