Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Looking for some suggestions on a 98 5.7 build

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2010, 6:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some suggestions on a 98 5.7 build

sorry if this isnt the right area, I'm new here...

I have a 1998 5.7 in an Express Van. I'm thinking it needs an intake gasket as it sits.

The plan is to pull it from the Express. Do a very mild build, and put it in an Astro.

The goal for the Astro would be a daily driver/beater/sleeper/burnout machine.

What should I do to the 5.7 while its out to get a little more fun out of it?

A cam? - Which one?
An Intake? - Which one?

Tried searching on Summit and they list over 500 cams
I can do the grunt work, just need a little direction which way to go.

Thanks!
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi TheStepChild,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

I'd recommend double roller timing chain and gears, to support whatever cam you get. In any event you'll want to replace those OEM timing chain and gears. No matter what cam you decide on. Personally I wouldn't go to crazy, just get a slightly higher lift and duration.

Bear in mind the Astro is a lighter vehicle than the Express, and with no load in the back, you should be able to break the rear end loose with very little trouble. With a 5.7, that thing should move fairly well.

Last edited by therewolf; May 3rd, 2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:12 AM
CF Junior Member

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...hevy_astro_van

Your engine is a hydro roller and you want a cam with tight lobe centers to increase torque.Somewhere in the range of 109 or 110.With a roller cam like you have,you can get a higher lift cam and you should be aware of getting the proper valve springs to go with the cam and watch that those springs will work with your heads not requiring any machining.If you do a head change be sure you don't buy anything bigger then a 180cc intake runner.Transfer the ECM from the V8 vehicle and wiring harness and you will need a chip burn for any mods you do.If the Astro is a AWD,you will need to notch the oil pan for the swap.

Last edited by therewolf; May 3rd, 2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Having owned a Safari with a 2.5L four cylinder, I can tell you from personal experience that adding a 5.7L V8 is going to lend quite a bit of muscle to a smaller van package.

The smaller engine was adequate to move the truck for deliveries, so the larger engine should do nicely for you.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:50 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

Not planning anything major for power increases because yea, I used to have a 4.3 astro and it would do some nice burnouts in stock form.

For the "chip burn", I have EFI Live I use on my duramax truck. Are we talking the same thing with different words?
Old May 5th, 2010, 12:08 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by TheStepChild
Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

Not planning anything major for power increases because yea, I used to have a 4.3 astro and it would do some nice burnouts in stock form.

For the "chip burn", I have EFI Live I use on my duramax truck. Are we talking the same thing with different words?

The chip burn would be for any mods you do.Cam,heads,etc.If you just go stock to stock swap then you could transfer the complete engine harness and computer to plug and play.

There is a cam from GM that is nick named "The 383" cam.Good idle characteristics and a broad torque band.It is a hyro roller.Look at this link under the performance section:

www.gmpartdirect.com

It is the one with a 109 centers.I have used this cam and it is very impressive.I suggest you get a new set of lifters too.The thing is you can not expect to go above 5,000 to 5,500 rpm with the stock spiders without valve float.You might want to consider a three angle valve job and new valve spring just because......

I suggest you want to keep the volume up to build torque.Don't go hog wild with big is better.As you know that ends up to be$$$$$$$$.

With you yr van,you have two choices to remove the engine.Either cut the rad support and weld brackets to bolt it back in or drop the sub-frame.

Remember that the rear end is a one of the kind with a offset to the passenger side.No other rear end fits without mods.Sure does pick up a Astro's performance with 4.10 gears and look for a donor van that has a g80 in the Astro van's vin number.Maybe a junk yard find.That is the posi rear end.Most of the vans have 3.42 rear end gears.

"Jag's That Run" in Calli makes swap engine mounts.They move the engine mounts two inches forward.

It makes a huge difference if you van is a RWD or AWD.You didn't say which one you have.The engine mounts with a AWD are different and with a AWD you have to notch the oil pan or buy one from "Jags That Run".

Ask questions as you need to.Please bear with me for answers because I surf the net as I can.

Terry