Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Loss of HP

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2013, 11:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of HP

2002 Chevy Monte Carlo SS 6cyl 100,000 miles

Symptom, loss of horse power, surge or lunge forward when accelerating (misfire?), rough idle (occasional knock).
Maintenance, regularly change all filters and fluids, recently had the m.a.f cleaned and changed air filter, spark plugs and wires, oil.

There have been times in the past year or so when the car would crank but not start. Especially when the car was hot. Wait a couple minutes and it would start. Also a couple of times the car would shake fairly hard when started, get up to speed and it was fine.

I have had people tell me anything from a clogged catalytic converter to bad fuel injectors or fuel pump.

Scanned the car last week. No codes showed up. Never had a Check Engine Light.

Every once and a while the car will jerk when accelerating. I have a coworker who said his truck started to jerk forward and later would not start at all. Our mechanic said it was the fuel pump. I will see what that does for him.