Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Lost Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2007, 8:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost Power Steering

In my 2002 Trailblazer, I turned my wheels all the way to the left and did aquick U-turn, at which point I ruptured a CV boot and immediately lost power steering. There is no visible evidence of the steering problem - the belt is turning the power steering pulley and steering fluid levels are fine and not leaking anywhere. Anyone have an answer for me?
Old June 18th, 2007, 7:25 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Lost Power Steering

I'm hoping someone will respond to this post as I'm having the same issue with my wifes 97 K1500. The CV boot didn't tear up, but when she cranked it all the way to the left, power steering just went out, checked the tie rod ends and they were fine, checked steering fluid, and it was fine, may need to bleed, but should be okay, pump is almost new.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old June 19th, 2007, 7:47 AM
CF Pro Member

Possibly the pressure relief valve inside the pump is shot not allowing pressure to build ( always bypassing ) or the spool valves inside the steering box are damaged ( or the torsion bar inside is damaged ).There could be friction from steering components or faultysteering wheel position sensors. In the case of speed sensitive steering... the power steering control module opens and closes an orifice that controls hydraulic fluid from the pump depending on speed. The steering control module will store fault codes indicating which components are faulty. In the case of rack and pinion steering could be a faulty rack.

Of course the simplest ... check the belt tension for the pump.
Old August 25th, 2007, 8:31 PM
CF Beginner

Turn the steering wheel hard into the corners, Hard Left, bump it at the end a few times, and see if it squeals. Also try to the right, if neither works, you may need new steering pump.