Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

milkshake in crankcase

Search this Thread

Old January 1st, 2009, 1:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default milkshake in crankcase

I have a 98 Z71 5.7V-Teckjust checked my oil today and found a milkshake in my crankcase. There doesnt appear to be alot of coolant in the oil because itwas not seperated when I drained it. I know that i have an intake problem and was woundering if the coolant could be dumping straight into the crankcase. It never overheated and is not chucking white smoke. Compression check is fine accross the board. Have noticed a little bit of coolant use and this explaines it but , How is it getting there?????[sm=dontgetit.gif][sm=dontgetit.gif][sm=dontgetit.gif][sm=dontgetit.gif][sm=dontgetit.gif][sm=usa.gif][sm=usa.gif][sm=usa.gif][sm=usa.gif][sm=usa.gif]
Old January 1st, 2009, 2:52 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: milkshake in crankcase

leaking / blownhead gasket...water under pressure can get in places you wouldnt think. The leak probably isnt bad enougth that your going to see it in the compression check
Old January 1st, 2009, 6:05 PM
CF Veteran

they have had problem,s with intake gasket leak's
Old January 2nd, 2009, 10:46 AM
CF Active Member

intake leak might be your issue becuase with that it could be draining strait into the motor witch would make your milkshake id say pull off the intake do the gasket throw it back on there check it here and there and if it continues ya may have a head gasket hell do them when ya got the intak off just to be safe and then if it continues well then friend it may be as bad as a cracked block
Old January 4th, 2009, 2:57 PM
CF Beginner

The 98' & 99' 5.7 liter motors were notoriousfor blowing intake manifoldgaskets. If you do a pressure test on the radiator you'll more than likely see fluid coming out between the rear of the intake manifold and the head.

If you continue running the motor the antifreeze that is getting down into the oil will evenually create a film on the bearings keeping the oil away resulting in spun rod bearings.

Good Luck.
Old January 4th, 2009, 7:53 PM
CF Veteran

My V6leaked for awhilebefore I noticed the "milkshake". Sorry, but its either buck-up and get out the tools and in out of the weather or open the wallet and go for the plastic. Hope it didn't do any damage.