General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Muffler

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2020 | 10:37 AM
CF Beginner

Default Muffler

I have a '93 K-1500 4.3 no air pump new engine all new pollution components the thing ran great for three years with glass pack muffler put on regular muffler now runs like crap. Unplugged o2 sensor and it runs good. Please advise if possible.AT 4WD
Old September 29th, 2020 | 9:52 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Traur1
I have a '93 K-1500 4.3 no air pump new engine all new pollution components the thing ran great for three years with glass pack muffler put on regular muffler now runs like crap. Unplugged o2 sensor and it runs good. Please advise if possible.AT 4WD
Dump the glass pack. They are crap.
Old October 1st, 2020 | 8:06 AM
CF Beginner

I did, put regular muffler on then it started running like crap. Unplugged O2 sensor it runs good replaced O2 sensor runs like crap.
Old October 1st, 2020 | 9:14 AM
CF Monarch

I did, put regular muffler on then it started running like crap. Unplugged O2 sensor it runs good replaced O2 sensor runs like crap.
Run a scan-tool on it and see if any codes.
Old October 1st, 2020 | 6:44 PM
CF Active Member

Clogged catalytic converter
Old October 3rd, 2020 | 8:11 AM
CF Beginner

No codes no catalytic converter
Old October 3rd, 2020 | 5:14 PM
CF Active Member

muffler on backwards? Some are directional.
Old October 5th, 2020 | 8:10 AM
CF Beginner

Little Bear you were right. But get this, muffler was wrongly marked! Never seen that before! I worked at a muffler shop and installed 100s of exhaust systems never once seen a muffler marked backwards. First time for everything I guess. Thank you for your response. I don,t think I would have even tried turning it around. Threw the thing in the scrap pile. Back to the Thrush glass pack again, runs great. Spent a lot of time on this truck need to keep it on the road just to justify the time and money ha ha. Wife calls it the money pit.
Old October 5th, 2020 | 8:33 AM
CF Monarch

Little Bear you were right. But get this, muffler was wrongly marked! Never seen that before! I worked at a muffler shop and installed 100s of exhaust systems never once seen a muffler marked backwards. First time for everything I guess. Thank you for your response. I don,t think I would have even tried turning it around. Threw the thing in the scrap pile. Back to the Thrush glass pack again, runs great. Spent a lot of time on this truck need to keep it on the road just to justify the time and money ha ha. Wife calls it the money pit.
More defective brand-new parts. Seems to have become the norm these days. Muffler either made in Asia/Mexico, or perhaps in the USA by a PO'ed minimum wage worker who didn't care.
Old October 5th, 2020 | 7:00 PM
CF Active Member

Good deal, always good to get feedback, glad I was able to hit this nail on the head for you!