Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

My 1994 88 Royale

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2018, 6:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1994 88 Royale

Hello fellow enthusiathes, I am looking for advice or tips on dealing with specific vehicle, 1994 Oldsmobile 88 3.8 V6 auto transmission. My problem is this car has two lights on, Security and engine light. I cannot pull codes on account the diagnostic port doesn't work, I suspect the previous owner went through it and tried to convert from OBD 1.5 to OBD 2.
car has symptoms of no horsepower, crawls at below 5mph and stalls out at traffic lights. Does someone who owns or owned a similar vehicle with close to similar symptoms have any tips, advice or suggestions?
Old February 26th, 2018, 7:34 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

First it is an Olds, second I don't believe it is feasable to convert OBD1 to OBD2. Do you have a check engine light? If so, you will need to either get an OBD1 scan tool, or jumper pin 1-2 with a paper clip to determine the number of flashes on the CEL, then that will give you the code of the diagnostic. With a 94 model, could be obd 1 - obd 1.5. What else have you done?
Old February 27th, 2018, 7:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello Maliboy81