Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Needing help getting a replacement keyless remote

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2014, 7:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [SOLVED] Needing help getting a replacement keyless remote

Recently I've been having trouble with my keyless remote for my car (2007 Chevy Malibu LT). All the buttons on my remote, including the remote start, lock, trunk unlock, and panic all work EXCEPT the unlock button. When it first started happening, I had to literally mash in the unlock button for it to even work, sometimes even having to hold it down for multiple seconds and repressing at a different angle. I then changed the battery, which didn't help. So then I looked at the chip/electrical board and the circuit strips where the unlock button sits, and it looks like some of the circuit strips are burnt or fried.

So now, I'm looking to get a replacement keyless remote fob from the website http://bit.ly/07MalibuKR and it's only $24.77. Now the downfall is, I have to go to a locksmith or dealership to get it programmed for my car. Obviously the locksmith would be cheaper more than likely, but I was wondering, is there ANY possible way for me to program it myself or is there a software they use to program them that I could download to my computer to program it in my car? I'd like to avoid costly programming fees if at all possible.

Thanks for any and all help guys!

UPDATE:
I was able to fix this by simply opening up the keyless remote fob, using a hole punch to make a small punch with aluminum foil, and gluing it onto the rubber contact on the unlock rubber button that makes contact to the circuit. Saved me quite a bit of money!

All credit goes to MichaelAdamsRocks, trando2010, and the original video
Attached Thumbnails Needing help getting a replacement keyless remote-22733524-2t.jpg  

Last edited by cotylee1991; October 26th, 2014 at 7:34 PM. Reason: SOLVED