Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Needing a taller jack, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2012, 5:23 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needing a taller jack, suggestions?

I had to change a front diff seal out on my 07 Tahoe today (passenger side, and it is a nightmare. Next time it goes to a dealer lol). And I realized that the stock equipment jack doesn't do that good of a job of lifting the Tahoe up anymore. Now don't get me wrong the stock jack is fine, it just doesn't reach quite like I want it to and I want something taller. I have 33 inch tires on my Tahoe right now and I put a 2.5 inch lift in the front to level it out. That being said, my stock jack is barely able to get the tire off the ground if I do need to change a tire, and it doesn't give me much room to wiggle under (I am a bigger guy and I do have running boards and the front bumper with the spoiler (not sure if it's a spoiler, but it hangs pretty low in the front). So I got a bit of body hanging down past the frame where I use the jack. I'm not sure how high the stock jack does go up, but I am thinking something that went up another 3-4 inches would be great. I was hoping to stick to a hydraulic bottle jack design as it seems to be working for me pretty well and I have good luck with them. Plus I will hopefully be able to hide it in the same location the stock jack goes in.

So like I said in the topic lol, anyone have any suggestions? Sorry for the long read, just figured I would get all the info out there.

Thanks
Old April 29th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Senior Site Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im not sure about a bottle jack, but i know craftsman had a pretty nice jack that was extra low with an extra high rise. it worked great on both my camaro (which is why i needed it low) and my truck ( the reason for it going high) it was almost like a racing jack and only took 2 pumps to lift my car. ive always thought of bottle jacks as unsafe, but im sure they are probably out there with an extra high rise big enough for your truck
Old April 29th, 2012, 1:07 PM
CF Monarch

Received 352 Likes on 333 Posts

It may not be the safest way, but a 4 x 4 piece of wood placed under the jack or between the jack and the frame works great. I have never had a problem doing this. I do use a scissors jack and not a bottle jack.