Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

New tires for my 21 y/o Silverado

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 1:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New tires for my 21 y/o Silverado

Several years ago I replaced a (second?) set with on-sale Michelins for my '04 Silverado.
Got about 70K on them but time's running out.
So I'm talking to another old geezer about my next set and he sez "Y'know there's a right tire and a wrong tire for that truck..." and then he trailed off (or I did) and never did get the answer.
Bottom line (literally) is much as I love my old truck I don't want to spend a ton of money.
Advice appreciated.
Thanks!
Chuck
Old Today, 8:27 AM
CF Monarch

Received 355 Likes on 336 Posts

70,000 miles on a set of tires is fantastic. I would buy them again!
Old Today, 8:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're right! That would be my first option. But Michs are expensive. I need to have enough $ to pay for the new good quality Chevy-matched set!
Old Today, 11:17 AM
CF Active Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Last set of tires I bought for my wife's car was actually purchased on Amazon, for about 60% (installed) of what the local "Tire Discounters" store wanted for the same set of tires. AND that included installation at a local tire shop of my choice - Amazon ships to them, and you make an appointment at the time you are purchasing the tires on Amazon, for when you want the tires installed - usually a week or two out to allow for shipping. The morning of your appointment you show up, and its already paid for through Amazon.

You may want to check into that if money is a factor. It was a good enough experience where I plan to do it it soon for my 2006 Silverado, for a full set of 5. I was underneath recently and am seeing dry rot on the spare, so its time to replace the spare, which is likely the original GM supplied one...

Last edited by jfmorris; Today at 11:18 AM.