Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Obd 2 won't link to my 99 silverado.

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2017, 11:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Obd 2 won't link to my 99 silverado.

My scanner read fine until I put a new fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator on it. AND my fuel gauge no longer works, and my check engine light flashes, along with my SECURITY, LOW BATTERY AND LOW FUEL LIGHT. All of my fuses and relays are good.
the only thing I can think of is the sending unit on the new fuel pump wasn't the same & had to be rewired. Can someone help please?
Old March 5th, 2017, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

99 new body style or 99 old body style? engine?
Old March 5th, 2017, 12:59 PM
CF Beginner

Default It is the new body style

New body style and it has the 5.3L vortec
Old March 5th, 2017, 6:11 PM
Super Moderator

if the scan tool won't power up; check the cig fuse.
if the scan tool powers up but won't connect to the pcm; see if it will communicate will any of the other modules.

the fuel pump, fuel gauage are all wired through the sending unit that you rewired. check those connections and make sure they were spliced to the correct wires and spliced in properly.
if the fuel pump isn't running, you may have spliced the fuel pump power wire to the fuel gauge signal wire.

Last edited by tech2; March 5th, 2017 at 6:16 PM.
Old March 5th, 2017, 10:52 PM
CF Beginner

Default Fuse is good

The fuse is good, & the fuel pump is working good. A friend told me to solder the connections on the sending unit. But if the fuel pump runs through the sending unit and the fuel pump is working wouldn't that mean that it is something else?
Old March 6th, 2017, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

ok
if the fuel gauge is not working after sending unit replacement; the most likely fault is the sending unit or wiring. best way to test it is at the connector at the fuel tank. dealers have a signal generator to test the wiring and gauge. I would have to find an alternate test method without that equipment.

as far as the scan tool; does it power up? if not check for power on pin 16 of the dlc and grd on pins 4 and 5 of the dlc.
Old March 6th, 2017, 7:39 AM
CF Beginner

Default The obd2 is good

I've tested it on other vehicles & it works fine. I haven't tested it with a meter yet though.
now when I put the new fuel pump in it, I didn't drop the tank, I removed the bed, (I have a great chain fall), but is it possible that maybe a wire or sensor didn't get hooked back up right?.
would that cause that?