Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Odd MAF and CPS code

Search this Thread

Old December 9th, 2016, 9:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd MAF and CPS code

Hello! first time posting! first time having to post for help, so here it goes. I have a 96 k1500 with a 5.7. I was driving home and it stalled on me. I tried to start it and it immediately fired right back up and went, however on the way home it would miss real doog every now and again, like I shut the key off for a second. I got home and read the CEL and it said MAF and Cam position sensor. I replaced both of them and cleared the codes. however, the MAF code never even cleared, the CEL would just flicker and immediately turn back on, without the vehicle even running. After driving it around some more it does feel like the MAF is bad, but even checking it with another one the code remains, and according to my scanner the MAF is reading 0 air flow. It also has done the hard misses on me again and the camshaft position code has come back up. anyone have any ideas? winter is coming and I have to do my plow route. Thanks ahead of time!
Old December 10th, 2016, 7:18 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Even if a part is new, dosen't mean it's good. I'd suggest (3 wire maf?) check for battery voltage at the connector along with ground.
Old December 10th, 2016, 8:18 AM
CF Beginner

Yes it is a three wire MAF, I am getting 5 volt on two of the wires on the pigtail, I would have to go check again to see what two pins...
Old December 10th, 2016, 11:03 AM
CF Beginner

upon some farther investigation I have 5v coming from pin 28 on the ECM. This is the yellow wire, in my manual this says it is MAF signal wire. The mafsignal wire shouldent have 5v, correct?

Last edited by Luke Popour; December 10th, 2016 at 11:10 AM.
Old December 10th, 2016, 12:04 PM
CF Monarch

Could be, the ecm is reading frquency, not volts. It needs a certain voltage (I am pretty sure 5 volts is enough) to drive the signal. Red is battery +, black is battery -, yellow is signal. I just went through this with my lumina, reading frequency at the black, and yellow with it at idle was around 2200-2400 hz.
Old December 10th, 2016, 12:06 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Luke Popour
upon some farther investigation I have 5v coming from pin 28 on the ECM. This is the yellow wire, in my manual this says it is MAF signal wire. The mafsignal wire shouldent have 5v, correct?
Without it running, I'd say no voltage, with key switch on, battery voltage on the red.
Old December 10th, 2016, 12:08 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the help, figured it out! loose connection in the fuse box led to a fuse blowing. fixed connection, replaced fuse. running flawlessly again. Thanks!