Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Overfilling the crankcase

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2021, 2:24 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Overfilling the crankcase

I'm having a difficult time finding a competent, honest mechanic. Not only did the latest one overcharge me for the oil -- after telling me he only charges a little more for synthetic than he does for regular -- he also overfilled my crankcase. (Along with not lubricating half of the items listed in the manual.) I drive a Chevy Uplander, which takes 3.8 litres. According to my bill, he put in 4.5 litres. I figured this out when I checked the dipstick after taking it in for "Scheduled Maintenance". The level was WAY above the cross-hatched area. I'm at home now, but according to the user manual, putting too much oil in can damage the engine. How far can I drive it to remedy the situation without doing the engine any harm? (I live in an apartment, which is not conducive to doing mechanical work.)

Thanks,
Inari

Last edited by Inari; June 2nd, 2021 at 2:27 AM. Reason: to make it easier to read
Old June 2nd, 2021, 8:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

imo dr ive it to the nearest shop and have the level adjusted.
Old June 21st, 2021, 9:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This story had a happy ending. The mechanic made a mistake with the oil, since he had just changed brands, so he refunded the difference. When I looked at the dipstick under better lighting, and level ground, it turns out that the oil level was exactly at the top end of the cross-hatching. The manual (Canadian) tells me that it only takes 3.8 litres, but he put in 4.5 litres. Also, after talking to my ex, apparently the Uplander came from the factory with sealed components that don't need to be lubricated. It's only the replacement parts that have grease fittings. So it appears my new mechanic is at least somewhat competent and honest.

Cheers,
Inari
Old June 22nd, 2021, 7:10 AM
CF Monarch

Received 353 Likes on 334 Posts

Honest mechanics are kind of hard to find. keep him as long as he doesn't make any more mistakes.