Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Please Help !! 2011 Chevy Aveo - Only 14,000 km's on it. Won't start - Dealer sucks

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2017, 2:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help !! 2011 Chevy Aveo - Only 14,000 km's on it. Won't start - Dealer sucks

I bought the car last summer. It only had 5,600 km's on it. It suddenly wouldn't start - Had to pay $200.00 to get it towed to closest GM dealer 25 miles away.. long story Roadside Assistance guarantee claimed I had to find my own tower - they couldn't etc.... Now Dealer claims I need to pay for a new OnStar module because it is fried - totally burnt out.... a $1,400.00 repair OnStar came with the car.. I do NOT use it - given OnStar claimed 1 month after I bought the car and tried to use OnStar and have it changed to my name because the dealer failed to do it when I purchased the car etc... that I needed to pay another $400.00 to have the software upgraded - something only Canadian customers were being charged to do by the way. Since I don't need nor want the Onstar features.. I declined - got a pay as you go cell phone for emergencies instead. In any event suddenly my car won't start.. had it towed to the dealer - who after 4 days waiting to get it diagnosed.. they say it's the OnStar module that was totally burnt... and I need it to get my car fixed so it starts. First and foremost I do NOT want OnStar - period... and in spite of the head office GM Rep telling me I do NOT need it - and they can easily fix my car without using the Onstar Module to get it started.. the Service Manager is telling me that that is Not true and that GM Head Office is mistaken. My GM Warranty I also learned a 5Star top of the line Warranty to boot that cost me $2,400.00 for TWO Years... (have had the car a year) .. I suddenly am told does NOT Cover OnStar.... and yet am told they can't repair the car without it!! What happens if that freaking OnStar burns to a crisp again? Please will someone - help. I have seen many examples on YouTube on how to remove/disconnect OnStar and of course they have no problems starting their cars.. I have learned in this past week that this particular GM Dealer has a horrific Service repair reputation.. (Just moved here last year.. from urban million+ City to Rural.. biggest City nearby less than 25,000 and this GM dealer has a total monopoly and they clearly don't give a rats *** about its customers... Like the Service Manager said to me "If you don't like it - go somewhere else.. knowing full well they currently have my car held hostage.. (want to bill me over $700.00 alone.. to freaking diagnose the car !! and then another 400.00 + for the OnStar Module and then another $300.00 to install it!
I am learning to my horror and dismay that I am by far not the only one with GM repair horror stories of "Modules burning out"... coupled with thousands of other like complaints and that's just after a few days of searching the net.
Any help, advice anyone can give me is very much appreciated.
Old August 27th, 2017, 3:08 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I take it onstar has it locked out, and the dealer thinks you own a bank. I don't know about Canadian laws regarding what might be considered a "safety" issue (onstar). If you don't want it, have them disable it, or find something on youtube.
Old August 27th, 2017, 4:53 PM
CF Beginner

Not only has the Onstar Module 'locked out my entire system' but according to the dealer the Onstar VIC Module is burnt to a crisp and as said now needs to be replaced with a new one that costs over $423.00. I have learned since posting this plea for help that a notice was sent to all GM Dealers and Onstar customers in 2011 that their 'Generation 9 Onstar Modules are 'Inoperative, Bluetooth Inoperative and Possible Battery Discharge Condition - (Sep 12, 2011) -- listing countless GM Car Models - specifically - and **All Equipped with OnStar (RPO UE1) *** saying OnStar will replace the module **free of charge** etc.. Again the GM Dealer one would think (See GM Code Of Ethics) must know about this, no? Notwithstanding I asked the Service Manager if he had accessed GM'S "Known Problems files etc..." and he clearly lied to me saying he had. Seems this particular dealer especially has a reputation for taking horrible advantage of seniors in the area with outrageous demands on them, for example: They sold a senior a used car with a very expensive extended warranty ... and told him he would have to have the oil changed every 60 days in order to have the warranty remain in effect!! His grandson wrote a detailed description of what they put him through.. transmission replaced 3 times within a year, if memory serves correct .. will publish his complaint once he gives me permission. (Just reached out to him on FB)
In any event I do know Canadian Consumer Laws are pretty detailed re: this kind of dealership fraud etc... For example the most a dealer can charge a customer for a diagnosis is for max 2 hours... and if it takes longer must get the customers permission to go further - must have a written copy of diagnosis etc... None of which this dealer did. They just kept telling me the mechanic was working on 50 cars ahead of mine and was getting to it when he had an extra minute to get to it... only to find out... as said in my post above... that they sent the warranty company a bill - claiming it took 7 hours to diagnose my car @ $100.00 and hour... and would take 3 more to install the module... total bill $1,400.00 and NOT covered under warranty of all things. AGain who on earth would ever agree to a $700.00 charge to diagnose a problem with a new GM car?
And yes you bet it's a freaking "Safety issue".... with a Module burning to a crisp and then to be told it's not covered under warranty - after of course being reassured I had top of the line - bumper to bumper coverage blah, blah blah. If it takes the OnStar Module to run the freaking car..,. then how come it is suddenly not part of the warranty package..? That's akin to saying - well your engine isn't covered, no? I know I'm being totally scammed especially after researching the 'GM Service complaints" and the many, many to date... thousands of like stories I discovered this weekend alone.
Anyway thanks for your feedback Kevin... will let you know - if you like - what takes place this week. Know I will absolutely insist on having OnStar disabled at the dealership and demand written confirmation of that fact.. etc... that is in case a new one is installed.
Old August 27th, 2017, 5:20 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Can you access a service bulletin that contains language about this issue with onstar? Proceed with that
Old August 27th, 2017, 6:28 PM
CF Beginner

Hi Kevin,

I printed out the Bulletin from ONSTAR Document ID: 2711494 issued Sep 12, 2011. Found it online. Am going to make dealer aware of it first thing in the morning and warranty company as well - especially given they - if the module is needed to freaking run the car, have deliberately imho deceived warranty buyers .. by not including this "crucial mechanism' in the warranty. Warranty company also told me the module is not necessary to start the car or keep it running - just like the GM Head Office Rep told me. Can't do anything until tomorrow So am going to sign off for today but wanted to acknowledge your followup before shutting my computer down. Again a million thanks for your response and input.