Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Possible 1971 LT-1?

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2010, 8:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible 1971 LT-1?

I recently bought a 93 Chevy Silverado and the previous owner gave me a set of rebuilt heads for it in case the heads were to crack on it since the TBI heads are prone to cracking. After doing a little research, I found out the heads I received are possibly LT-1 heads. Before putting the heads on the engine I wanted to know what year the block was and can't quite figure out what I have. I think its a 1971 block but not sure, only found one site with the matching code.

The block numbers on the front right pad is V0708CGC and had another set of numbers beside these numbers, 11K244923; is this the VIN number? The number on the left rear corner pad I thought was 8870010 but after doing some research I came up empty on that number but found most blocks during this time was 3970010 so I am guessing that is the correct number since I was using a mirror and light to read the numbers. The heads I received are 3973487X with a number next to casting 1971.

Am I sitting on some rare LT-1 parts or just some run of the mill cast iron? Are these parts worth of any value to a car collector or restorer? What kind of vehicle did the block and heads come from? Thanks.
Old September 6th, 2010, 9:53 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it either came from an elcamino, or a full size (impalla) and had 245 hp it is a high nickel content engine, and if you use your heads, the throttle body intake wont work, the TB intake middle bolts are vertical as oposed to the angled middle bolts of earlier versions the heads are 68-73 depending what valves they have if the intake valves are 2:02 then it is the desirable head, actualy either way they are desireable a bit, 2:02 is best
Old September 6th, 2010, 10:06 PM
CF Beginner

Were you able to verify to tell if the CGC code was a 1971 block? I am more worried about the year of the block more than anything to make sure I ordered the right gaskets for it but then the curiosity got the best of me. lol. I know the TBI intake won't bolt on correctly but I have a spare intake I am going to weld up the four center holes and redrill them to the right angle if I decide to keep the TBI. Thinking about going carb so I can run the cam and intake I want without any worries of the computer giving me fits.
Old September 6th, 2010, 10:07 PM
CF Beginner

BTW, thanks for the info. I am all new to the engine codes, this is the first time I have done anything like that.
Old September 11th, 2010, 12:26 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea it is a '71 block
http://www.nastyz28.com/sbchevy/sblock.php
this is where i got my info