Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Purchase Help Please! Novice about to buy my first Classic - Engine OK?

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2017, 5:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Purchase Help Please! Novice about to buy my first Classic - Engine OK?

Hello,

I'm a novice of rebuilding cars but I'm about to make my first project purchase. It's a 1971 Chevelle SS. Well it wasn't always an SS. It was customized and now has this big block engine in it. The owner doesn't know much about the custom job or car in general other than it "runs well and looks great". The car was left to him. It's a great price that's finally in my budget.

I was hoping you could lend me some knowledge? Please take a look at these pictures to see if you see anything I should worry about, missing, needs replacing, or if you could identify what kind of big block this is? Anything would be huge help! The car is a couple thousand miles away so no luck of me visiting easily - I'd like to know if it's worth the trip to look.

PS. The body panels and interior are in great condition.My only concern is the engine and undercarriage as I don't know what I'm talking about in those departments.

Thank you in advance!
-Future Enthusiast
Attached Images   
Old September 19th, 2017, 6:22 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Don't know how to answer, you have a big block (396) which is what it was born with if it's cid is larger, ok I can't tell. Electronic ignition, dual pumper carb, I think are Holley. I'll leave my personal opinion out of that genre Chevelle.
Old September 20th, 2017, 12:13 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a big block so it could be a 396, 427 or 454. Block is painted orange with many after market parts so it is not likely a crate engine. Without knowing who added the parts could not say anything about life expectancy. Good Luck