Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Radio Cuts Out

Search this Thread

Old January 11th, 2011, 9:18 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Cuts Out

Heres one for you audio guys...

So last year in my 99 GMC Jimmy I upgraded the audio system. I replaced my Head Unit with a Sony CDX GT710, the front speakers with Alpine type s SPS-600c with tweeters, and the rear speakers with Alpine type s SPS-600 without tweeters.

I've noticed for a while now that with the engine off and key on at high volume when the bass hits hard the radio will shut off for about 2 seconds. The lights turn off and the sound stops.

When the engine is running I can turn it as loud as I want and the sound will not cut out but i noticed that the white ring of light around the volume know will dim slightly every time the bass hits.

There is no amp installed and the wiring is all still factory, i used a harness adapter so I did not splice anything in to the factory harness.

What can I do to solve this problem? I'm thinking there just isn't enough power going to the radio when the engine is off to hit loud bass notes. Would an amp or capacitor fix this problem?
Old January 12th, 2011, 7:19 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try a new battery
Old January 12th, 2011, 9:24 PM
CF Active Member

The battery is less than a year old, its a 800cca duralast gold, its hasnt let me down yet and even after being parked outside all night in 10 degree weather it will start on the first crank every time in the morning.

But I think my alternator is starting to go out. yesterday leaving work my volt gauge was reading about 9-10 volts at idle and 14 at 1500+ rpm. When I got home it was fine and producing 14.2 volts at idle. And all day today its been producing 14.2. Its pretty weird, all wires are tight and clean so i'm thinking its the alternator. After all it is the orginal delco alt and has 140,000 miles on it.
Old January 13th, 2011, 3:10 PM
CF Beginner

Try and change the car radio it should work fine. and the reviews. are also very nice thank to share along with us.
Old January 15th, 2011, 1:15 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by mccarthy
Try and change the car radio it should work fine. and the reviews. are also very nice thank to share along with us.

I think I'll do some more diagnosing before I go out and drop another couple hundred on a radio just to have it possibly do the exact same thing.
Old January 15th, 2011, 1:36 PM
Super Moderator

Hummm, well i can give you a little input on what i had to do to mine to fix this problem...

I own a 96 GMC Jimmy and i installed 2 12" Plantet Audio Subs with 1000 Planet Audio Amp, Planet Audio Front and Rear speakers with bass blockers, and a Flip up Headunit.

I hit a 146db at competitions... I was having this problem even while the engine is running... I had to install a 160 amp alternator and an Optima yellow top Battery to be able to operate the vehicle under normal and extreme conditions to be able to house enough power for the system . What it sounds like to me is exactly what MDTahoe said.. I would upgrade your battery and see if that fixes your problem...
Old January 15th, 2011, 3:42 PM
CF Active Member

well I removed my radio and disconnected the connector to back probe it and I have 12.6 volts at the yellow wire with the ignition off and 14.3 volts at the yellow while the engine is running so that was normal.

Then i checked the red wire and it was 0 volts ignintion off and 14.3 volts engine running which is also normal. So then I reconnected the connector and boom! it works just fine now. I can have it full blast with the engine off and it doesn't cut out and the lights don't dim. I'm not sure what happend but it seems to be ok for now.