Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Really bad idea...anyone know how to remove tire shine?

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2010, 1:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really bad idea...anyone know how to remove tire shine?

So, I just got this new Cavalier, and I want to clean it and keep it nice so it lasts me for a long time unlike my last (first) car. Well, I saw some Armor All Tire Shine at the store for a few bucks, so I bought it and liberally sprayed all my tires.

Now I'm regretting it. It looks kind of ridiculous, it left big greasy, slippery areas on the driveway, I'm sure it's going to make my tires all slippery, and I don't want it getting on the paint, which I'm sure it already has. I all around don't trust it. Why couldn't I have just been happy with nice, clean, not shiny tires?

If there's any way possible, I just want to remove it all - at least definitely from the driveway. If just keeping it until it fades won't cause the tires to get crappy, and will generally remove it, that would be acceptable. Has anyone else had experience with this? I'm freaking out.

Thanks!

Tania
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey Tania,

How's that audio system coming along?

As to the spots on the driveway, cat litter is a very effective oil drier and remover. It works well against any petroleum product.

You could just try re-washing the tires with regular dish detergent and water. Soap them up real good and leave the suds for as long as they'll stay. Rinse and repeat. Eventually the stuff will just wear off all by itself.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 2:12 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks a lot! Sorry for my annoying constant posts. My last car was a travesty, so I'm trying to take the best care of this one that I can. Left the convertible top down in a rain storm, mold and mildew could never get out, put the top down in winter and it broke and rain kept getting in, went on a trip without changing the fluids and it overheated and eventually broke, etc.

I wiped a lot of the tire shine off with a dry towel and then washed the tires a few times with soap and water, and it looks pretty good now. A little shinier, but not ridiculous. I'll try the cat litter, as I have a cat and the product. My dad hasn't noticed or cared anyway, so that's a relief. He wasn't worried about the shine stuff like I was. Apparently he used to put olive oil on his car tires.

I'm actually planning on getting my stereo installed today by a friend. I have all the parts, and the person who's connecting my radio is pretty talented so maybe he'll find a way to fix the chime problem. Thanks for remembering.

(Also, I used 3/4th of the tire spray liquid without realizing it, which is probably why it looked so ridiculous)
Old May 4th, 2010, 3:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey, not at all. This information helps others, also.

We're here to exchange information and try to help each other.
Hope the Audio system works out OK.

I just replaced a couple of 6x9s with some 6.5 Jensons,(they're great, but a little underpowered for my system) but I'm just using them till I get a few more things done, then I'm going to install new door speakers all around.

Two years ago I didn't know an amplifier from a crossover, but now that I've installed my own system,(with a little help from my friends here) I feel confident to make upgrades as I see fit.
Old May 5th, 2010, 4:04 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by therewolf
Hey Tania,

As to the spots on the driveway, cat litter is a very effective oil drier and remover. It works well against any petroleum product.

You could just try re-washing the tires with regular dish detergent and water. Soap them up real good and leave the suds for as long as they'll stay. Rinse and repeat. Eventually the stuff will just wear off all by itself.
Simple Green and a scrub brush, and spray down with water. for the tires/drive way..

good luck
Old June 5th, 2010, 4:18 PM
CF Beginner

if after using the cat litter on the driveway youve still got stain on the concrete your local hardware store should carry a product called k2r its a foaming carpet cleaner with a funny lil brush on the top of the can sprayed on concrete it will pull the oil stains out
Old June 8th, 2010, 3:04 PM
CF Beginner

yep i used this product too a couple of months back. should go for this one.