Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Rear end hop

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2021, 4:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end hop

I have a 2005 Silverado 1500 4WD 4 door and having a problem with what feels like a hop or bounce coming from the rear end when braking. When I apply the brakes I feel it at the slower speeds a lot but don't really notice at higher speeds and it kinda of feels like when you hit dirt road wash boards at slower speed. I have new brakes all the way around (pads, rotors, and drums) and Monroe reflex shocks in the back. I replaced the front two shocks with Rancho shocks a few weeks ago due to one of them being worn on the rod and about to break (this was due to my being in a rush and inability to pay attention and installing wrong). As soon as I get a chance I'm going to replace the two rear shocks with Rancho's as well. Not sure this will fix the problem I'm having (hope so) but has anyone had this happen to them and if so what was causing it. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Monty Bonds; November 28th, 2021 at 4:04 AM.
Old November 28th, 2021, 10:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This only happens when you're applying the brakes? If so, there may be a defective rotor or drum or some kind of contaminant on the pads/shoes, like a spot of oil or grease. If there is a contaminant, you may be able to clean it with brake cleaner if it is a small area. Additionally, you would need to find the source of the contaminant (IE: oil/grease from a finger, axle seal leaking, wheel cylinder, etc.).

Also look at your leaf springs and bushings for wear or loose fasteners.