Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Rear End Swap

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2019, 9:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear End Swap

I recently destroyed the rear end on my 2003 2wd. I’m wanting to put a rear end with a locking diff out of a 4x4 in but I’m unsure if my brakes will bolt onto the housing. Every 4x4 I’ve seen has had rear drum. But I have rear disc. Will my disc bolt on fine? And is there anything else I should worry about.
Old February 4th, 2019, 6:46 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Ely04
I recently destroyed the rear end on my 2003 2wd. I’m wanting to put a rear end with a locking diff out of a 4x4 in but I’m unsure if my brakes will bolt onto the housing. Every 4x4 I’ve seen has had rear drum. But I have rear disc. Will my disc bolt on fine? And is there anything else I should worry about.
I dont know why a locking differential would have any effect on your brakes. What makes you believe that you wont be able to use a locking differential with your disk brakes?
Old February 6th, 2019, 9:08 PM
CF Beginner

I know it won’t effect it. The post clearly states that I’m worried about the drum brakes. If the rotors on my truck will bolt onto the drum rear end
Old February 6th, 2019, 9:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 664 Likes on 602 Posts

If the 2WD has discs, can't you get an axle from one of those? They put locking diffs in 2WD vehicles too. Just look for the G80 code on the RPO sticker.
Old February 6th, 2019, 10:19 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Ely04
I know it won’t effect it. The post clearly states that I’m worried about the drum brakes. If the rotors on my truck will bolt onto the drum rear end
I honestly do not know. I tend to leave modifications to the motor, if it will still pass smog inspections, but I was younger then, so I just keep everything up to date. I checked on the silveradosierra.com forum, and I saw differing views on this subject. You might want to ask them about your 2003 Chevrolet C-1500 brakes, or pehaps
someone here on CF knows the answer.

I did find out something that I didnt know: GM dropped rear disks _for_ rear drums in the K and C pickups in the 2004-2005 years. Seems that drums actually work better on the rear axle of a pickup truck then disk brakes do. I know that on light vehicles such as cars, since they are lighter and rarely pull anything like a heavy trailer, disk brakes work more towards 70-75 % more on the front brakes, but it seems that it's closer to 60/40 percent on pickups. Since I own a 1998 K-1500, that makes me feel pretty good, but I still would rather change out disk brake pads and rotors then drum brakes/shoes any day of the week.

I hope that you can find out the answer to your query and apoligise that I could not find the answer to your question.
Old February 25th, 2019, 3:41 PM
CF Beginner

Why don't you just rebuild the diff that's in your truck now. Plus there is no guarantee that the diff you will be getting from the junkyard will be any good. Most of the gm units came with a gov lock type carrier and those were just ok when they first can out. but if you tow or race your rig at all. I would recommend getting a spring type locker like a duragrip or equivalent. This would also eliminate the problem of trying to figure out what rear will fit and which one will not. good luck