Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Removing household paint from car interior

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing household paint from car interior

Ok, I just bought an 08 Silverado, it has some spots on the interior (dash, steering wheel, glove box) that have household paint on them. My father just wasnt' careful getting in and out of the truck and would get paint on the inside, what's done is done.

Anyone have any good solutions for getting the paint off? Or will just old fashioned elbow grease (a lot of rubbing) get the paint off? Will something like Goo-be-gone harm the interior?

Obviously the steering wheel I may just buy a cover for and put that on over the paint, but the dash and the glove box are what i want clean.
Old May 16th, 2012, 12:47 PM
CF Junior Member

let it get good and dry take your thumb wrap it in a wash cloth and rub it hard it may roll off when you do that if that dose not work get the wash rag wet get small amount of nail polish remover on another rag and very lightly scrub and wipe clean with the was rag with water do not let the nail polish remover sit on the Scarface long once its dry if leather wrapped put leather conditioner on it if on cloth use steam
Old May 16th, 2012, 12:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Nurseman
let it get good and dry take your thumb wrap it in a wash cloth and rub it hard it may roll off when you do that if that dose not work get the wash rag wet get small amount of nail polish remover on another rag and very lightly scrub and wipe clean with the was rag with water do not let the nail polish remover sit on the Scarface long once its dry if leather wrapped put leather conditioner on it if on cloth use steam
Be very careful on the dash some of wich like my moms 2004 Yukon is painted and the paint likes to peel off so i would be careful there if its the hard plastic goo gone or the other method should be ok keep in mind i have not done this on a GM but did do it on a 2005 ford Taurus with no issues