Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Replace Fried Wire

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2020, 10:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace Fried Wire

I have several fried wires going to the 2-different resistors for the blower motor. I imagine I need to remove the portion of fried wire and replace; feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Does anyone know where I can find connectors and what is the best method of attaching new wire too old?

Thank you!

Old January 14th, 2020, 11:13 AM
CF Monarch

Received 353 Likes on 334 Posts

The best way is to solder the wires and use heat shrink tubing. You might have to replace the plastic plug as well.
Old January 14th, 2020, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 664 Likes on 602 Posts

If the conductors are intact then just wrap the wires in electrical tape or put some 3:1 heat shrink tubing on it

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; January 14th, 2020 at 2:49 PM.
Old January 14th, 2020, 1:12 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

Depending on what your working on you might be able to find a whole replacement pigtails with a few inches of wire attached to it. Imo this the best way then replace the resistor as it's probably a little tweaked also due to the heat. The issue came from a poor connection and this connection caused a higher amount of resistance than the wires were rated for melting them. Fix it right so you don't have this issue again later on.
Old January 14th, 2020, 8:00 PM
Super Moderator

it looks like just the insulation is melted a bit, and not even all the way through. Inspect the connector to be sure, but I'd be incline to leave it or just repair the insulation.

Avoid soldering automotive wiring. It creates stress points that break off with vibration. This is why you generally don't see soldered wires in auto and aircraft wiring.
Old January 15th, 2020, 7:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate all the input; great suggestions. I purchased 3:1 heat shrink and this looked to be a good option. However, heat shrink would require me to slide over connector; no way to slide on wire. I did research and heat shrink can be cut to length; not cut lengthwise which would the only way to place over wire.

I tried electrical tape which was difficult to do and I didn't get good results.

I'm now looking to replace; found a 4-female plug online that is supposed to fit (mine have 5 connections). I believe I can just use butt connectors and splice in.
Old January 15th, 2020, 7:49 AM
CF Monarch

Received 353 Likes on 334 Posts

https://www.freeasestudyguides.com/e...ive-wires.html
Old January 15th, 2020, 3:57 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Erick Kendall
I purchased 3:1 heat shrink and this looked to be a good option. However, heat shrink would require me to slide over connector; no way to slide on wire. I did research and heat shrink can be cut to length; not cut lengthwise which would the only way to place over wire.
that's why I suggested 3:1. If you get a piece that's just big enough to slide over the terminal, it may shrink enough to get a snug fit on the wire.