Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Running lean

Search this Thread

Old July 11th, 2023, 6:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running lean

I changed the spark pugs rotor and cap on my dad's 1993 G20 conversion van today and all the plugs were white, I say the engine is running lean and should be looked into closer but my dad told me it's fine but to me they look way to lean but I could be wrong.

I'm surprised it ran at all with the cap I got off it.

I looked for vacuum hoses that need to be replaced but everything looks good and it doesn't sound or feel like it has a vacuum leak it did have a bit of a hesitation at idle which is why my dad got me to change the cap and rotor and change the plugs which has taken care of the hesitation it had.

I'm thinking bad injectors.

It had a brand new fuel tank and fuel pump put in with in last years but I'm only guessing I don't exactly know when as he just got the van a few months ago.

Could someone point me into a direction that I should take a look at before the dog house goes back on tomorrow?

Last edited by Toemow22; July 12th, 2023 at 1:30 AM.
Old July 13th, 2023, 11:15 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Toemow22
I changed the spark pugs rotor and cap on my dad's 1993 G20 conversion van today and all the plugs were white, I say the engine is running lean and should be looked into closer but my dad told me it's fine but to me they look way to lean but I could be wrong.

I'm surprised it ran at all with the cap I got off it.

I looked for vacuum hoses that need to be replaced but everything looks good and it doesn't sound or feel like it has a vacuum leak it did have a bit of a hesitation at idle which is why my dad got me to change the cap and rotor and change the plugs which has taken care of the hesitation it had.

I'm thinking bad injectors.

It had a brand new fuel tank and fuel pump put in with in last years but I'm only guessing I don't exactly know when as he just got the van a few months ago.

Could someone point me into a direction that I should take a look at before the dog house goes back on tomorrow?
Run some PEA fuel injection cleaners in the tank like Lucas or Techron. Take it out for an Italian tune-up.