Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Running Problems PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2012, 8:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Problems PLEASE HELP

I have a couple questions for anybody who would be willing to answer them.

First I have a 1983 camaro that has supposably had a corvette engine put in it but I don't know what year how do i check.

Second the car constantly wants to stall out. It is a throttle body injection and I also cannot get it to time I have disconnected the e s t and it doesn't seem to affect the timing I can rotate the distributor a does not adjust timing at all.

Third About my distributor I have what appears to be a cylinoide it has a single brown wire running to it and it does not plug into anything wires are the but I can not see another end.

I have a check for vacuum leaks I have change spark plugs and gapped them to .035 I do you know that it is a chevy 350 need

help with any ideas thanks.
Old April 11th, 2012, 8:43 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry the cylinoide is above my distributor on the firewall
Old April 15th, 2012, 11:29 PM
CF Beginner

My old Ford had a little jumper in a wire going to the distributor. You had to take that jumper out to time the engine. That disabled the automatic timing advance. If you didn't take it out, you couldn't time the motor because the computer would be adjusting it the other way.
Old April 17th, 2012, 10:37 PM
CF Beginner

karl, to find out what year the engine is on the back of side of the black were the tranny and black meet behind the passenger side cylinder head on the block there is a casting number. you will have to wipe of with rag and brake cleaner. its gonna be hard to see and get to. you might need a flash light a mirror and able to read backwards and upside down...lol. you get the casting number from there then get on google search and type in chevy casting number identification. there are several websites that are dedicated to the record of casting number and what blocks they belong to. year bore what vehicles 2 or 4 bolt mains they are very informative.

from my experiance with my 3rd gen camaro had a v6 there is a wire you have to disconnect the computer from the distributor set your time and plug the wire back in and the comp does the rest. not sure what that cylinoid is for i don't remember having one of those outside the distriputor