Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

SBC used short block advice

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2022, 7:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SBC used short block advice

Hello guys I am looking for some needed opinions from some guys who have worked with used engines before and can get some advice on what the status overall of what I am looking at on my used short block I got. This is not a short block I am looking to rebuild but only use as a temporary motor that will run decent and be acceptable for a once in a while driver and hopefully last me at least two years while I get my other engine redone when I have the stuff needed and other things for it to get fixed.

In the mean time this engine will be put in place in my truck so I am able to drive it when I need it and also last me for the time needed while I get my main build in order. I got this whole 350 small block chevy used and am only looking at the short block being used. I have another set of brand new heads and cam and lifters and a few other things to use on this.

Before I go and buy the gaskets to re seal everything up from top to bottom on this and spend the time and clean things up and put it together I just want to know with what you see does it look presentable to be ok? The cylinders have a shiny glaze so I know its high mileage, I found no bad scars in the cylinders but did find some bit of rust spot in cylinder number 7. All the other cylinders besides having a glaze have no lines in the bore to catch a finger nail but they do have a slight ridge at the top but does not seem to be bad but I don’t know for sure what is considered no good.

I did an oil pressure test before I bought it and time was ticking and had to make a decision and the oil pressure put out good pressure. The plugs looked pretty much all the same with nothing looking like red flags. I checked the oil dipstick and the oil looked not bad for the miles the motor has and looked like it just needed an oil change but not like it was like black as coal can get type of a deal.

I could not do a compression test as I tired to jump a starter on it but it did not work and was junk so I could not get that done. After buying the engine and taking the gamble I found a video on youtube to where it shows you how to build your own leak down tester using air compresser gauges and parts. I made one and unfortunately I have a tiny one gallon 100 psi air compressor and doing the test on all 8 cylinders I got about a 5 pound difference between the two gauges.

The oil looks to be clean from what I drained and no signs of metal particles etc. The engine turns over good and was not full of sludge. I have built several small block chevy engines over the years but have not done a used build before to where I can look at a cylinder and tell if it still has a little bit of life left before it would need a total overhaul and be something that would still do you good for the time being.

I am only looking at putting new gaskets on the short block and cleaning it up and painting it and then installing a new cam and lifters and reusing some things off my other engine such as accessories in order to have a running engine to allow me to drive my truck and use it while taking my time on the other main build. Not looking to do a re ring as I don't have much time to get this done.

Sorry for the long post guys but just wanted to get some basic info on what this is about and could use some help and opinions. I am just looking for it to be good enough to be healthy enough to run and not be a waist after going through everything and putting all new gaskets etc and to have it not work and have terrible problems. Thanks and appreciate your help.
Old August 4th, 2022, 8:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ones with what looks like white lines does not catch my nail in anyway and feel smooth. Also here is a slightly better photo of the number 7 cylinder. Does this thing look good enough for the job of what I am looking for it to do? I have experience of putting brand new builds together and checking proper clearances and the correct stuff needed to put a good engine together and not just assemble and also pay close attention to detail. Thanks guys and appreciate any help.