Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Sea Foam Treatment

Search this Thread

Old November 21st, 2011, 3:37 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sea Foam Treatment

have you ever heard of people running seafoam through the vacuum lines to clean out the intake and upper parts of the engine? I have done it to all of my cars but I dont think it is as easy on the vortec engines so I have not tried on the Tahoe yet...anyway it will be similar to that. nothing earth shattering and definitely not anything needed after only 30k miles on a modern vehicle

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; November 23rd, 2011 at 1:39 PM. Reason: Moved new topic
Old November 22nd, 2011, 2:51 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by ousig2408
have you ever heard of people running seafoam through the vacuum lines to clean out the intake and upper parts of the engine? I have done it to all of my cars but I dont think it is as easy on the vortec engines so I have not tried on the Tahoe yet...anyway it will be similar to that. nothing earth shattering and definitely not anything needed after only 30k miles on a modern vehicle
I use it about once a year, Im at 110,000 so its useful, newer cars dont really need it in my opinion. I have a vortec 6.0 and I just take the intake assembly off the throttle body, I let it idle warm and then slowly pour the stuff in( half the bottle in a vacuum port and half in the throttle body), if it almost stalls out back off a sec and then continue pouring. Once its all in, shut the motor off and let it sit for 10-15 min. Start it back up and watch alll the scary smoke come out your tailpipe, I recommend doing it in an open area.

Mainly it just cleans out any gunk in the system. First with throttle body cleaner and a tooth brush I clean the throttle body valve & walls.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 8:42 AM
CF Senior Member

ya it is good stuff, just havent looked to find the best vacuum line on the Tahoe engine to make sure it feeds all cylinders. I also use it in the oil about 100 miles before I change it. my 99 Acura TL has 185000 miles and the engine is smooth as silk
Old November 23rd, 2011, 12:03 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pour a bottle of seafoam in the tank when it gets low (about 2-3 gals), run it for ~15 minutes, let it set overnight, then stop and get gas on the way to work, maybe at every other oil change or so. The vacuum line treatment is really only needed for engines that have pretty heavy build up. I used to run it through my 2-stroke outboard every tank + occasionally let it suck straight into the fuel line and sit.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 1:34 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Since were on the topic for those who havent used this stuff....

<CUFON style="WIDTH: 68px; HEIGHT: 26px" class="cufon cufon-vml" alt="Motor "><CUFONCANVAS style="HEIGHT: 32px; TOP: -3px; LEFT: -3px">Safely frees sticky lifters and piston rings, removes carbon build-up and oil residue, reduces pinging and rough idle. For Carburetors or Fuel Injected Gasoline Engines - Autos – Trucks – Tractors – Motorcycles – Marine – Small Engines – Industrial Engines Great for Diesel Engines Too!

Sea FoamŽ Motor Treatment is a 100% pure petroleum product that safely and effectively cleans internal fuel and oil system components, helping your gasoline or diesel engine run cleaner and more efficiently. Sea FoamŽ is an EPA-registered product, and will not harm engine components, seals, gaskets, catalytic converters or oxygen sensors.
Sea FoamŽ liquefies gum and varnish deposits or internal engine contaminants, removing carbon deposits, freeing sticky valve lifters and rings, improving idle quality, pinging and hesitation problems. By using Sea FoamŽ to eliminate varnish and carbon buildup, mechanics can more accurately diagnose mechanical problems that may exist. That is why Sea FoamŽ has been so popular with professional mechanics for over 65 years.
As a fuel system additive, Sea FoamŽ will clean carburetors, fuel injectors, clean carbon, gum and varnish deposits, add lubricity to fuel, stabilize fuel for 2 years and control moisture.
As an oil system additive, Sea FoamŽ controls moisture, gum, varnish and residue deposits.
Old April 25th, 2012, 2:07 PM
CF Senior Member

old thread but it was mine to begin with so Im bringing it back

I have been hearing a very slight tick/flutter/rattle at times when driving and usually under a slight load. like when on the highway on cruse but when the engine goes from V8/V4 or around town going up a hill. I can hear it when the drivers window is down and driving against a curb or wall or with the windows up and radio off

I was thinking it was something to do with the valves/lifters but I was just guessing. I just got back from the dealership getting new tires and the SM rode with me. He heard it also and said it is a common noise when there is carbon buildup in the engine. He said if it was valves or lifters the noise would be more pronounced. where the noise I have is not loud at all and is not steady for more than a few seconds max. He also said that was probably because the knock sensors detected it and pulled back the timing some.

anyway long story short everything I read online about this noise people seem to say it is the valves and not just carbon buildup. This weekend I am going on a 500 mile trip so I will plan on using a few cans of Seafoam in the gas and run it through the intake to see if it gets rid of it. I will post back