Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Seized engine 454 Vortec

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2016, 11:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Seized engine 454 Vortec

I was driving my 1996 Chevy 3500 4x4 with a vortec 454 and manual transmission (172k miles), it started intermittently making a clicking noise, sounded like the fan was hitting the shroud, a very fast click that would only last a few seconds there was no pattern to when it would start or stop. So I pulled over checked my fan first it wasn't making the noise, it was somewhere in the engine. I then checked the oil, the level was fine, truck wasnt overheating. I was about two miles from my yard so I figured I'd get it back there and check it out further. About a mile down the road it just died no noise or anything, just seemed like it stalled out, I put the clutch in and coasted to a safe spot. Got out and there was some smoke coming from the air intake, not a ton but definitely enough to notice. the smoke had a burnt smell to it, the truck wouldn't restart. The starter wouldn't even crank the motor over. I called a friend who came out with a tow strap, we got the truck up to about 10 mph and let out the clutch and it just stopped, wouldn't unseize. Towed it back to my yard. It has oil and didn't overheat, as far as I can remember I had oil pressure. I'm a little stumped on what it could be out where to start on this. I've done allot of work on Chevys (ball joints, fuel pump, replace differential etc...) before but never taken an engine apart before. I'd hate to just buy a new motor it it could be something simple. Any input would be appreciated
Old December 1st, 2016, 2:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn`t sound simple or a cheap fix. #4 or 6 rod bearing.